What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First RV-7 flew in Russia

Vlad

Well Known Member
First tailwheel RV took off in Russia. The aircraft was assembled and painted by CetusAero engineers.

Flight testing and certification requirements for aircrafts in Russia are pretty much the same both for 200 ton bomber and 0.5 ton kitplane. RV7 performed flawlessly and pleasantly surprised professional test pilots.

Mechanic making necessary adjustments

Mexanicatwork.jpg

Touch and Go

Landing.jpg

High G turn

HighGturn.jpg

Test pilots are satisfied. This thing flies good!

testpilots.jpg

Why said that RV7 is too small? There is enough room for two beefy pilots and one midsize mechanic:)

Whosaiditstwoseater.jpg

Mission accomplished (or not?) Taxi to the ramp

Taxitotheramp.jpg

Aerobatic bomber?

<snip>

Flight testing and certification requirements for aircrafts in Russia are pretty much the same both for 200 ton bomber and 0.5 ton kitplane.

<snip>

High G turn

HighGturn.jpg

I hope they don't put a 200 ton bomber in a high G turn like that! :eek:

Please pass congratulations to all involved, Vlad!

russian 7

What? No M14 on that -7?

That's amazing news. It has to be hard enough to build one of these in places like Sweden or Australia. Heck, I occasionally moan at how long it takes Van's to get a bolt to Atlanta.

Any anecdotes to give insight on some special challenges that came from building in Russia?

Very cool knowing I'm soon going to be part of such an international fleet.

Thanks.

Don

What? No M14 on that -7?

snip

Any anecdotes to give insight on some special challenges that came from building in Russia?

Very cool knowing I'm soon going to be part of such an international fleet.

Thanks.

Don

There are plenty of anecdotes on those challenges Don, it's not time yet to tell them:D

Kevin do you know Russian?

Awesome! Now you simply need to fly across Siberia to Alaska and on to Oshkosh!

Congratulations, Vlad :)

Very cool!!

Love the plane, the paint looks great!, would love to here more about what the test pilots said and think of the 7.

Good Jobski!!!

RT

WELL DONE!!

Here's a BIG congratulation from you neighbour in the west! Well done!!

Very cool paintscheme too!

I'm sure to RV will give you lots of joyfilled rides in the time ahead!

(For those of you unfamilar with the Scandinavian geography: Norway and Russia share a short border waaaay up in the northeast of Norway)

Happy landings!

Congratulations. Quite an accomplishment next to the factory, more so across the continents. By the way, that is a beautiful plane I love that pant job. Can you post more pictures when you get a chance.

Vlad,

Congrats to your friends! I'm curious because Russia covers a lot of time zones. Where exactly in Russia did this take place?

Alf,

Privet neighbour. You were under close watch since you started your RV:D

Dean,

I will ask for more pictures. It takes a while to send them from far away:)

Vlad, could you please get me some photos of that plane? I want to consider the scheme for mine!
what a fantastic accomplishment! tell em "nice job!"
fred

More pictures of paint scheme

Several builders asked me to post more pictures of this airplane to "catch the idea" of paint scheme. I got some for you. Tail ski is a part of the desing:D

Van_s_RV-7_RA-1024G_01.jpg

Van_s_RV-7_RA-1024G_02.jpg

Van_s_RV-7_RA-1024G_03.jpg

Van_s_RV-7_RA-1024G_04.jpg

Vlad,
Let me add my congratulations to your friends! I agree, the paint scheme is great! More photos please.
Charlie Kuss
PS, If they bring it to Sun N' Fun, I'll supply the vodka! Better yet, let them to bring vodka and I'll reimburse them! I'm sure they have access to better vodka.

Vlad.. can you tell us anything about that -7A that's been flying over there for a while now... the paint job seems very interesting... at least, looking at pictures.. not sure what it looks like in person..

Charlie

They visit S-n-F and Osh every year. Believe it or not they are not much after vodka, planes first... then... ladies :) like in that famous Russian song... Первым делом, первым делом - самолеты,
Ну а девушки, а девушки - потом...

Radomir

What would you like to know about that RV7A? It is built by professionals at CetusAero private company in Moscow. It belongs to them. They do some business on it.
I can ask them.

Edit: Radomir just to make sure you were talking about this one?

a_00008.jpg

Last edited:
the lower stripe looks like it changes colors as it goes from front to back... we don't see that very often :) Just thought it was an interesting paint job..

It does Rad! I saw this paint when I saw their first finished airplane - it is some EXPENSIVE (and gorgeous) paint....don't know who makes it.

Paul

You guys know more than I do about this plane! Paul did you see it when you were in Moscow the other day? I won't be surprised if you took a ride in it. Ratkin keeps his secrets well guarded:D

1304022.jpg

It's a demonstrator

Got fresh news from Moscow today. The 7A complies with all necessary regs and has half-ton paperwork completed. She will have a noble mission of providing demo rides to the interested public and prospective customers. If somebody is in Moscow on a business trip or just visiting - give them a call.

Vlad.. can you tell us anything about that -7A that's been flying over there for a while now... the paint job seems very interesting... at least, looking at pictures.. not sure what it looks like in person..

Some air to air pix

Reposting it from Russian Experimental Aviation Association website. I have full permission to use RV pictures only.

They took a chase plane to shoot some aerial with RV-7. Do not pay attention to the belly, it's a part of paint scheme:D

aIMG_6057.jpg

aIMG_5814.jpg

aIMG_6022.jpg

They caught a nice halo-effect with two airplanes

aIMG_5903.jpg

aIMG_5933.jpg

aIMG_5908.jpg

And a little bit OT but looking cool. Mighty Antonov biplane AN-2 based at the same airport the workhorse of forest service and dropzones. Cranking to start up...

AN-2.jpg

Here is the whole page and check the next one. http://www.reaa.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1127117888/120 if you need to explain anything PM these guys - RickS, Robby "Hard" Knox,Straun Boston, David Nelson's wife,James "Gary" Parker, they are all fluent in Russian.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice Pics Vlad! Well done and congrats on the plane...looks like you'll be having lots of fun.

Nice pic of the AN-2 as well! Neat old bird for sure.

Cheers,
Stein

Vlad,
In one of the pics of the -7 on the ground, there is a blue amphib in the background......what is it? Looks very sleek and sexy.

Glenn Wilkinson

With regards to the AN-2..........kind of makes you wonder..........how much oil DO they have to pour into that thing each morning???

Great Shots

Great pictures Vlad! Really enjoyed the clear pictures of your airport. It is very interesting to see all the different designs we never see. You should take pictures of all the Russian designed planes and post them to a link, very interesting stuff.:)

Check your email

and PM boxes those who were interested in the amphib and asked for extra info. Enjoy the show and do not forget your RV!

Added: This company manufactures the amphib http://www.aviakb.ru./ 11th airplane is under construction. Appr price is quarter mil.

Last edited:
Fresh pictures from REAA

I am in touch with Russian Experimental Aviation Association members and they posted some new pictures on their site. Shots by different photographer, from different perspectives and lenses. Just pictures, without comments.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Give them a call Tim if interested. If you have an opportunity visit their assembly line you wil like it. They build good and they can ship. Some mods they are doing for their customers - reinforced nosewheel gear leg, BRS and others. There was a bit of interesting discussion Pierre Smith started look in the archives.

Last edited:
New bird with cool graphics

Just yesterday I noticed those pictures. Pretty cool paint scheme.

PICT1265JPG.jpg

PICT1270JPG.jpg

Modern avionics

PICT1250JPG.jpg

and full leather interior

PICT1244JPG.jpg

Something else cool is coming, stay tuned....

great pics

Hello Vlad,

Great pictures, beautiful countryside. I loved the yellow and black paint job, but I think the blue may have stolen my heart. Who designs these paint schemes?

I was looking at the latest Aircraft Spruce catalog (2010 catalog about 90 pages long, not the huge catalog) and on page 70 there is an advertisement for a ?Custom Aircraft Model?. It is an RV-9 model with the yellow and black paint scheme.

When my 9 gets ready for paint, I may be calling someone across the pond?

Take care of yourself and come see us in Dallas sometime.

Hi, is you envolved with Cetus or are you just a client?

Hi Antonio,

No I do not work for Cetus. Neither I am their customer. I am living in USA and building RV-9A myself. But I know those people very well. They run an aviation business part of which is building airplanes from Vans kits. I have met them at Oshkosh couple times and they invited me to visit their production line and take a spin or two in their RVs. I will definitely visit them in June 2011.
I also communicate a lot with Russian RV builders, there are several of them in very advanced stages of construction and Cetus provides good support for them. Five aircrafts are already flying and owners are very happy. If you have any interest please contact them directly, the owner Alex Ratkin is well known here and nice fellow. In two weeks they will be conducting 5th annual RV-building workshop near Moscow you can participate.

All the best,

VAF Intelligence Agency Report

These are recent satellite images of brand new Russian RVs deployed to an undisclosed field.

Yours Truly,
VAF IIA :D

Last edited:
Back