What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to R&R old wood and glass gear leg fairimg

markscogg

Well Known Member
OK, so the brake line started leaking. And it's an older -6A with permanently installed fairing. (wood and fiberglass at the leading edge. Flox or micro balloons in trailing edge.)
Managed to get it off without damage to the leg, but splintered a good bit of wood. I cut the trailing edge AND through the wood to get it off.
1664949_m.jpg

1664950_m.jpg

What now? Brake line is easy to replace, but I doubt there is any reasonable way to put the old fairing back on.
Can I just replace one side with a new fairing from Vans? Or have to replace both?
Can the plane fly with one main fairing, or would it pull to the side too much?
Any helpful advice appreciated.

Start over

I built my -4 with wood stiffeners, I wrapped them with glass around the leg, but they are covered by the glass fairing over the top (removable). Probably the best bet for you is to do both legs that way and have a fresh start. I bedded my wood stiffeners in Proseal to the legs, then covered with the glass wrap so there is flexibility to the bond and minimal risk for water intrusion on the steel gear, and the brake line floats in a slot.

FAIRING

I would order two new from vans and instead of riveting use 3M 5200 to close the rear seam then fill top and bottom with Great Stuff foam to hold in place by setting top and lower fairing for alinement .Fast and easy .
Bob

Buying the wooden gear leg stiffeners

I built my -4 with wood stiffeners, I wrapped them with glass around the leg, but they are covered by the glass fairing over the top (removable). Probably the best bet for you is to do both legs that way and have a fresh start. I bedded my wood stiffeners in Proseal to the legs, then covered with the glass wrap so there is flexibility to the bond and minimal risk for water intrusion on the steel gear, and the brake line floats in a slot.

I am inclined to replace the one wooden gear leg stiffener as the other leg still has wood on it.
Looks like "Fly Boy Accessories.com" and "Aircraft Speciality.com" have the wood listed for sale. Any experience with thees two or some other vender?
Then I could use the Van's fairings.
Also want to use the Summit Racing AN-3 pre-made hose. Don't know if this will fit the V groove in the wood.

Made my wood stiffeners

I made mine from, of all things, pine door casingI had laying around the shop. Take a look at a piece, and it already has the basic airfoil profile. I glued two pieces back to back, and finish shaped with a disc sander. That made the trailing edge half, made the leading edge half the same way, but a bit more cutting/trimming, and routed a groove for the brake line. Some people only use one or the other, but I wanted a bit more stiffnes. I wrapped the whole mess with three layers of medium glass cloth and sealed top and bottom with proseal..again, you dont want water getting into the gear legs. I have seen some planes with the wood stiffeners simply tape wrapped in place..end of the day, they simply prevent gear leg "walking" and overly flexible gear in the fore/aft direction.

Are you sure you need stiffeners? As suggested, I would buy new and replace both. If you don't know if you need stiffeners or not, you can always add them later.
If you do end up with gear leg shimmy that is not acceptable, look to the other common causes, like alignment or tire pressure, before you give up and put stiffeners in.
Also, I wouldn't seal the bottom with foam. I have seen one set of gear legs corroded due to this, luckily caught and repaired before they where unserviceable. You don't want anything that can trap water or condensation. This is a low point and water will get in and make its way down the leg. If you foam them up, you can't inspect the gear leg at that point.
We caught the one by accident due to a repair that was needed. The other side had the same corrosion.

Back