What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

WindRider panel

WindRider's panel has 2 HXr screens PBT8000 audio panel, GTN 650, and Garmin SL 40. The right screen is displaying the VPX display with the GRT EIS 4000 engine monitor that swings up underneath the panel. PTT buttons are on the panel, on the lower button on the stick, and a push button on both sides of the throttle. (Because of my previous experience of flying fighters in the USAF, the trigger on the stick is the smoke switch - gun is now smoke.) The throttle button is actually the PTT of choice. The throttle quadrant swings down allowing the entire panel to be removed. So far, everything seems to be in the right place. Lots of fun to fly.

I had never wired anything before. Excellent wiring plans from RV-10/ RV-7 builder Nick Nafsinger made the daunting task possible. It was a steep, but satisfying learning experience. Thanks for the plans Nick.

Where would I find the engine start button I see in the photos below? Nicer looking than the one B&C Specialty carries
Thanks
Erich

Very Nice!

Walt,
Did you complete the wiring and install yourself? My G3x is still in boxes waiting for me to finish the FWF. I keep looking @ the harnesses and it is a bit intimidating. Wonder if I have to hire an avionics gut to oversee.
Thanks
Joe

I've been doing the wiring of my G3X Touch/Transponder/radio/etc. myself. It's not that bad. I printed out the appropriate drawings from the G3X Install Manual and highlighted the wires/connections that applied to me. I then do a little at a time, power that portion up, fix any issues and continue.

Example: The GTX 23ES Transponder has an intimidating 62 pin high density D-Sub connector. But for my setup, it took all of 8 wires plus the antenna.

Another option: Stein Air has an un-advertised service where they can take your list of devices and produce a big wiring diagram for it, both hardcopy and digital version.

Russ

Looks like an S2000 Start button.

I don't see a mixture knob... Electronic Fuel Injection?

Very cool!

Exactly, start button is from Honda S2000 and the fuel injection is from Efii.
About wiring the Job has been done by NorthAir You can find the link on my website.

Walt,
Did you complete the wiring and install yourself? My G3x is still in boxes waiting for me to finish the FWF. I keep looking @ the harnesses and it is a bit intimidating. Wonder if I have to hire an avionics gut to oversee.
Thanks
Joe

Yes I did it myself, however, I been an avionics geek most of my aviation career (35+ yrs) and it's what I enjoy doing most. I also have all the "stuff", tools, etc. which can amount to quite a bit if you have to go buy it all. Anyone can learn how to do it but if you've never done any of this before you'd be well off finding someone to at least show you the basics, or better yet, have someone like Stein build you the harness and wiring diagrams :eek:

7A Slider Panel

I worked through the winter wiring my panel. Kept me out of trouble. The attached pic is the first install of the panel into the airframe. I cut the sub panel to allow the radio stack to enter. Still needs some work to better the clearances.

I have a GRT 8.4 Sport EFIS with EIS and autopilot. The audio panel is a PS Engineering 5000EX experimental audio panel. Two Garmin GTR200 comm radios and a Garmin 330S for ADS-B out. ADS-B in is a Flight Data Systems Pathfinder Remote wired into the EFIS. Steam gauges are altimeter, airspeed and compass.

This is the first work I have done in this warm weather season. I tore a ligament in my left thumb (I am left handed) and I just got the cast off Tuesday 6/24.

9gxdtd.jpg

That's a clean panel, David. I'm considering the GRT 8.4 display plus a couple of steam gauges, and I like the way it all fits on yours.

finally powered the panel

After 4 months of head scratching i finally powered up the panel. No pops nor bangs and no smoke so a big phew. Only one slight issue, data from the Sky View to the Garmin Nav/Com box was not being sent - a little rummaging around showed i had wired the ground and not the data cable - otherwise all working

DSC_2384.JPG

Last edited:
Do most people complete their whole panel before powering it on for the first time?

I've been doing mine iteratively: A device or function at a time. I find this is easier to troubleshoot since the number of variables is much smaller. This is the way I write software too, so probably why I went this direction.

Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.

I never played with the original G3X to any extent, but the Touch panels are amazingly intuitive. I think of something that would make sense with the panel, try it, and often, it works. But maybe I should read the manual someday anyway. :)

Mark,

I like those G3X panels. I was originally thinking of a similar setup, but with the new touch model now I'm confused about what I should do. I wish Garmin would give some insight on the lifetime of the non-touch units.

I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!

I highly suggest the Touch if you can swing it. Way better technology under the hood of those! It really is more than just a new Touch interface and wider screen. Look at the difference in the GTN vs the GNS series... The difference between the original G3X and the Touch is better than that!

Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock

Really? I asked a question about the differences between the 400W and 650 on this site a few days ago and the reply I got was that, aside from the
"obvious" of not having a com and vor/ils capability, that I would not lose much by going with the 400W. Now, I'm even More confused!
Would one of the G3experts chime in and please, tell of some of the enhancements of the GTN650 over the 400W? I was at Oshkosh and saw a lot of what the GTN series is capable of, but not much was discussed about your older equipment. I'm getting close to ordering my avionics and would like to make an educated decision about my certified GPS system.

Rock

Relax....When used with the G3X, from the G3X perspective, most likely you would not even be able to tell the difference between which model was connected to the G3X.

You won't lose any meaningful functionality but you will miss the benefits of a better user interface (yes some argue touch is not better but it is more than just touch I am talking about) and new hardware technology platform (more modern electronics, faster processors etc). The GNS series is a fine unit and there are thousands of them in use every day around the world.

Bottom line however is that for the typical RV builder the functional differences are minor and you will be well served by either one.

I have owned and used both the GNS430W and the GTN650 and both do the job they are expected to do just fine.

Some enhancements of the GTN over the GNS w WAAS:

Higher resolution/brighter screen
Faster Processor (smooth panning and zooming)
Touch Interface (some love it and some hate it but most haters have never actually used it. In reality it is mostly a non issue...)
Prettier Graphics and Icons
Much more refined and shallower user interface. The GNS uses a bunch of tiered menus. The GTN is much more flat and intuitive.
More modern design using more modern electronics
The GTN has airways and safetaxi
The GTN has more flight plan and waypoint storage
The GTN has more optional features and interfaces available

Also consider the fact that the GNS is the older model and that Garmin has already produced a replacement series in the GTN. Garmin most likely will eventually end support for the GNS series and this is a major thing to consider.....

If it were my money and I could swing the difference in cost (which I understand is not that great in the grand scheme of things), I would pick the GTN over the GNS.

Last edited:
Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.

GPS

Brian pretty much nailed the differences between the GNS and GTN.
I also have used both and now have the GTN650.
I kinda like the older unit but I would do the 650 again if I was faced with the choice. I like that it does airways and love that it will auto convert to VLOC when approaching the ILS.
I just think my new plane needed the newest technology. Why put in dated equipment. I have the older GDU370 instead of the Touch and I like the format of mine but the processing speed of the Touch for Panning and zooming is incredible.

Hello Mark,
Yes, it is a little clearer, now, but I think I need to do a little more research before deciding. I had forgotten that you had used the 400 series. I have changed projects and am now doing the 4. If both systems will get the job done as far as GPS approaches go, I would rather keep the budget down and go with the 400W. I will send you an email, and hopefully we can meet up to discuss it further.

Rock

Mark,

Ray,
Knowing the guys at Garmin, you won't go wrong with either system. I am very pleased with my G3Xs and would recommend them anyone.
Best of luck,
Mark

I agonized over this same choice for a long time. I am just starting to work on my IFR rating and the GTN 650 gives me all of the approaches I will have to fly for the check ride. That's what made the difference for me and I now have a new GTN 650, from Stein, sitting on my bench waiting to be installed.

That is one of the best panels I've seen! Nicely organized. Of note are the toggle switches that are well grouped vs just a long line of switches that can be difficult to distinguish.

Well done!

Lights

Yes, those are LED eyeball lights on each side. They are from Steinair and can found here.

They are on a dimmer and do a very good job lighting the switches.

Last edited:
Advanced RV-7 IFR Quick Panel

Here is a picture of an Advanced Quick Panel for an RV-7 getting ready to ship.

15852589977_eb9d9f6041_b.jpg

Configured, tested and ready to install with the following equipment:
Two AF-5600T Touch Screens, D6 EFIS, Autopilot, PS-Engineering Remote Audio Panel, AF-Com, GTN-650, Remote Mode S ES Transponder, Multi screen ADS-B Weather-Traffic, 406 ELT,
Lighting controller with Wig-Wag, Flap Positioning, Auto Trim, Advanced control module, Remote USB data jacks for easy database and logbook updates.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Great

This looks really great.
May I ask what are the switches? It looks like a pre fabricated switch panel mounted on the main panel (avionics/AP/Master/ALT on the left and Boost pump/Lights/Pitot/... in the center)? Or is this custom made for this particular aircraft?
Thank you.
Alain.

If you put those two panels side by side, the quality really is not comparable. The AFS version stands out to me. Also, for jack position... it's really up to the aircraft owner for what is good/not good when it comes to location. I think both customers in this situation would be happy. New avionics in any aircraft brings smiles!

While pilot preference may even want them directly in front of the stick... In my research, it seemed that placing jacks above the canopy decks was not ideal. You have cords hanging over the decks, getting in the way.

I fabricated a small panel below each vent for them.

DSC015111.JPG

While pilot preference may even want them directly in front of the stick... In my research, it seemed that placing jacks above the canopy decks was not ideal. You have cords hanging over the decks, getting in the way.

Your panel looks like it is a RV-7 Tip up canopy?
Our Advanced Quick Panel for the RV-7 Tip up canopy has remote jacks.

The Advanced panel picture is for a RV-7 Slider so the plugs and cords are not exposed. My first RV-10 panel had the jacks mounted on the panel. I flew it this way for around 200 hours before installing a new panel with the jacks mounted in the center console. I have flown the RV-10 for over 800 hours with the console mounted plugs and If I were to do it again I would move them back to the panel.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10 1000+ Hours

This looks really great.
May I ask what are the switches? It looks like a pre fabricated switch panel mounted on the main panel (avionics/AP/Master/ALT on the left and Boost pump/Lights/Pitot/... in the center)? Or is this custom made for this particular aircraft?
Thank you.
Alain.

The switch modules are one of the really great features of our panels. We mount the switches on a circuit board to eliminate the normal bundle of wires and crimps going to each switch. The switch module connects to the Advanced Control Module with a single cable. Since the actual current switching takes place in the control module each switch only has a single low-current connection along with a common ground. Additionally, each switch has a LED light that is dimmed with the EFIS. We have a few different style switch modules that we use depending on the application. Each switch is mounted to the PCB with a connector in case you ever need to replace one. The best part is that it only takes about 2 minutes to wire all the switches in the panel and they always work the first time.

15857416030_ec409a6389_b.jpg

15857245298_64db741297_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Back