What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n Fun 2016 RV style

DCalland

View in the back yard in Ohio as we prepared to depart this stinking April snow for Florida.

Heading South! Goodbye snow!

What? Ice and turbulence?

Well, there is a bit of ice but the ride was smooth.

Great push from the wind gods! 60-65 kts as we leveled at 11,000 ft.

Smooth and clear as we crossed KY, TN, NC and into GA.

Made it to Athens, GA in 2 hrs 15 minutes from Northwest OH!

Gotta love the food at S n F! More lipitor, please!

Great looking rides!

Perfect weather all week for flying.

Man, I love RVs!

We were going to head back to OH on Saturday but the headwinds were not looking good, even for an RV. The following picture my friend sent from the hangar back home reinforced the thinking that it was time to have a beer and spend another day in FL.

The steed awaits her signal to awaken and take flight Northbound at sunrise on Sunday the 10th. We actually stayed in Zephyrhills where my wife's parents stay for the winter. Great airport and lots of skydiving. Short drive from there to Lakeland.

Beautiful sunrise over central FL.

Nice weather over the southern half of the country on Sunday.

Same old weather as we left it North of the Smokeys and in Ohio.

Well, welcome to Ohio in April! Winds were 120 to 210 variable gusting to 26. Neither runways 6 or 24 looked attractive at home but it ended as another successful trip. Now counting the days until OSH!

Nice ride David! What a contrast between OH and FL! I see you have a camera mount on right wing. Did you make any videos?

Good eye! I use the mounts more for form fun. Shot some short videos from inside but I haven't done any editing yet.

great trip report :)

Nice work. Mission accomplished. I look forward to some fun trips to the big fly-ins. Not sure I will be able to get my wife onboard. Maybe if the accommodations had the word "Spa" or "Resort" in the title. How thick was the cloud layer coming back in? Did you pick up much ice on your wings?

IMG_7888_zpsy9auiojz.jpg

We went to Sugar Shakers every day for lunch. The London Broil and chicken were absolutely fantastic, as well as their salads. Oshkosh could learn a thing or two about good food from SNF!

Wind info

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Can you tell me how to get the winds all listed like you have in the picture above?

Hi DCallum, thanks for the photos. Looks like it was a great event.
I notice in the photo with the RV'S lined ( you could nearly call that photo " A few pointers about RV'S ") that there is a yellow and purple colour scheme a couple of aircraft in. Do you have a better photo of that aircraft or know the owner. Looks great. The manual doesn't tell me what colour to paint my -14... Real bugger.
Thanks, just a by chance question.

Steve, Thanks for the heads up. That looks like a great event. Right now my touring schedule is clear at that time. Hopefully I can attend.

Jeff
this is definitely one you want to take your wife to. The only one we attend where there are as many women as men enjoying the weekend.

I hope I can talk her into it...

this is definitely one you want to take your wife to. The only one we attend where there are as many women as men enjoying the weekend.

She's not really a camper. Maybe if there is a nice hotel "Resort" close...

She's not really a camper. Maybe if there is a nice hotel "Resort" close...
ok well, I guess you have not made it to the webpage describing the 4 star resort hotel a great majority stay in during this weekend.

Read some of these web pages to get a better idea of what to expect:
rockefeller resort petit jean, ar

You might want to plan early as the Rockefeller Resort fills up quickly. There is also the state park Mather Lodge that is a nice place also:
http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/accommodations/mather-lodge.aspx

Camping is great for those who enjoy that but we prefer the indoor 4 star camping ourselves.

If you make the decision to go your wife will not be disappointed! This is not your typical "guys who love airplanes, is this all there is to do?" Flyin.

Couple of answers to the questions:

The rime ice was very light. I did, however get into some clear ice at 11,000 ft. on the way home. I had never seen that in 36 yrs. of flying. It was light also but I got an immediate lower altitude and that solved it. Didn't mess around with pictures. I made sure I could cross the Smokeys without being in the clouds before I left but the cloud cover was solid not far North of that.
Cloud layers were around 1200-1700 thick.

As far as the Wifey going on the trip, she stayed with her parents in Zephyrhills where I parked the plane for the week. She was poolside and never set foot in Lakeland! Not quit a spa but very nice. I did get her to OSH in a tent once in the early 90s. That will never happen again! The only way she will go back to OSH is if I croak from cholesterol toxicity on the flight line and she has to come up to get my stuff! Hopefully I will not have purchased a lot of new toys yet!

I do not have any other pictures of the RVs so I can't help with the owner to get the color codes for paint, sorry.

Back