- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Default How to spot a scammer on eBay

I post this as it is ridiculous what is about to happen to some aviation enthusiasts/pilots and potentially VAFs on eBay. There are some "brand new Bose A20" headsets for sale on ebay and the seller is obviously a scammer.

So let me show you how you can tell and if you are one of the current bidders, you should be aware of it now.

1) All three items by the seller are the same picture - http://www.ebay.com/sch/bryanttx66/m...p2047675.l2562

2) Look at their feedback (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...edbackAsSeller). They have NEVER sold an item and now they are selling three $1000 headsets starting at $.99?

3) Look at their BUYING feedback (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...eedbackAsBuyer). All of their purchases are on about the same day. The items you can look at (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110853961494) are purchased for $.99. So for $13 they have established a positive profile.

If you are one of the current bidders, its not too late to retract your bid if you are concerned (http://ocs.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e&topicid=1273).
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default Just use Paypal

I was scammed once and ebay/pal quickly refunded my money.
Make sure you always use Paypal.

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Default Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for the information, that is good to know.
RV10 and RV7.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Reported

I just reported it to eBay so hopefully they will investigate and at least put a hold on it. Very scary as he has bids around $700... Good catch Mark, you may have saved fellow pilots a lot of buck$!!!

Jerry
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM

As a seller on ebay without a certain # of positive seller feedbacks payment will be delayed until 5 days after the buyer receives the package. So its pretty much impossible to get scammed on ebay anymore where you couldn't get your payment back if paying with paypal. They will probably never get a package. So unless the seller tries to scam you into direct payment, its impossible to get scammed.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.

Last edited by rocketbob : 12-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSchmidt View Post
I was scammed once and ebay/pal quickly refunded my money.
Make sure you always use Paypal.
Or a good credit card. I went through the Paypal dispute process once with a deadbeat seller; I got my money back, but it took over a week as I recall.

The next time I got hosed on an auction, I'd paid with my card. When it became clear that I wasn't going to receive anything and the seller wasn't going to respond to my inquiries, I called my bank and had the funds back the next morning.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Mark,
Just because he has a low opening bid amount, does not mean this is a scam. What it most likely means, is that he has a friend who will act as a "schill" for him. EBay charges an extra fee for setting a reserve bid amount.
I see that EBay has pulled those auctions off the site. The #1 sign that you are being scammed is when the seller wants payment via Western Union or similar. You have NO recourse, if you don't pay via PayPal or a quality credit card.
Your comments about how he achieved positive feedback are excellent.
Charlie

Last edited by chaskuss : 12-26-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM

It was the low price that was suspicious, it was that along with all the other signs.
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Can't loose!!!!!

....When paying for anything on-line with Pay-Pal (E-Bay or all others) the buyer is 100% protected and it is impossible to get scammed or to loose your money. In actuality the opposite is what seems to occur on a regular basis. We do about 90K ( Turbos R Us) monthly on E-Bay so we see it all. We get scammed regularly by buyers that have it planned from the get-go and as sellers we can't prevent it. A seller is not even allowed to leave bad feedback for a non paying, or thief buyer. Bottom line is "The Buyer Can't Loose" a dime under any circumstances. Thanks, Allan......
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020