- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Question AFS 5600 x Dynon Skyview

All right guys... I know it?s a matter of personal needs, but I?d like to "hear" your opinios on this. Which one to choose: Advanced Flight System AF-5600 or Dynon Skyview to work together the avionics below (TruTrak will be excluded if choosing Dynon):

1- Garmin SL-30 NAV/COM
2- L3 Stormscope WX-500 (this is a must in Brazil)
3- Aspen EDF 1000 Pro (need this to get IFR certification in Brazil)
4- Garmin GTN-750 GPS/NAV/COM
5- Garmin GTS-800 TAS (2 ant.) (this is a must in Brazil)
6- PS Engineering Audio Panel PMA-8000BT
7- Garmin GTX-32
8- Garmin GMA-35 Audio Panel
9- Vertical Power VP-X
10- Trutrak Sorcerer AS Auto Pilot
11- Trutrak Yaw Damper + servo
12- Trutrak Autotrim

I?ll fly IFR aproaches and would like a capable, reliable, supportable in Brazil, and easy to use EFIS, but want one of theese two.

Thank you all!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!!!!

Cristian---(at least I hope that is your name)---welcome to VAF.

Both of the companies you mentioned frequent the site, so hopefully you will get some direct info from them.

What model are you building??

Good to have you here

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Having done a ton of research on all the EFIS systems available... I'd go with the AFS.

Question though, if you're already putting in the Aspen unit why not just go with their full package?
RV-7, SOLD
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 PM

For IFR flying, AFS for sure.
Dues paid
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristianomc View Post
All right guys... I know it?s a matter of personal needs, but I?d like to "hear" your opinios on this. Which one to choose: Advanced Flight System AF-5600 or Dynon Skyview to work together the avionics below (TruTrak will be excluded if choosing Dynon):

I?ll fly IFR aproaches and would like a capable, reliable, supportable in Brazil, and easy to use EFIS, but want one of theese two.

Thank you all!
The user interface on the 5600 is clearly easier to use. Having more buttons eliminates traversing the traditional nested menus.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend taking into consideration future features and I won't got into them here either, But I will mention that I believe 5600 takes the lead here too. Both companies had a mixed experience with promised deliverables, but Rob and company seem to be delivering very consistently the last year or so.

You may also want to consider the AFS-AP. It will save you a few dollars as opposed to the Sourcerer. The Sourcerer has more standalone capabilities, but those differences are compensated with the AFS-AP integration with the EFIS.

You mention that Trutrak would be excluded if you choose Skyview. Since you mentioned IFR, I am not a proponent of having the AP integrated into the EFIS. If the EFIS dies or has a software glitch, I want the AP to keep the wings level to buy some thinking time to react to the situation.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM

No brainer - AFS. Rob does a huge amount of integration testing to make sure his equipment works properly with the avionics that you list. The integration with a TT autopilot is also very good. AP separate from the EFIS gives much better redundancy.

Pete
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM

The original poster here has an Aspen and a GTN-750 in the panel. So it's really a question of what he wants an experimental EFIS for at all?

Aspen does a PFD and SynVis.
The GTN does all mapping and approach plates. Does the owner want to pay for data twice in the plane? Data isn't free in Brazil, and you need to be sure you can get what you need from your vendor for your country.

So I'm assuming the main purpose of the EFIS is actually for engine monitoring? Or just a backup EFIS? Or what???

If it's a backup EFIS, then it can be the primary autopilot, and spending big money to get 100% independent EFIS and autopliot is a bit of overkill. This whole airplane is a lot of overkill!

As with any other EFIS discussion, it's up to the mission of the plane and the equipment. Both AFS and Dynon have tight integration with VP-X, the SL-30, and the GTN (I know this because I have one of each in my cube). Dynon doesn't support the WX-500 stormscope, but I'm 90% sure AFS doesn't either.

I'd think for anyone to give a recommendation to this user they'd need to have a real conversation with them and determine what exactly they are trying to accomplish with their avionics.

Reading the manuals for each system would probably help a lot and give you a good sense of what the systems can do and what they can connect to.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Default VP-X over VP 200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
....... This whole airplane is a lot of overkill!

Dynon doesn't support the WX-500 stormscope, but I'm 90% sure AFS doesn't either.
My thought on this, never let a vendor tell you what is over kill. Ever seen a Ferarri or Corvette on the road. Want to talk about over kill?

Sometimes people just want stuff, its your money, go for it.

The Dynon or AFS may not support the WX-500 but your Aspen will.

On saying that. Why would you want to use a Dynon when you an Aspen? Because the screen is so much darn bigger and you can have a quick look at it without have to squint your way down to 20-20 vision just to make out your heading.

However I digress.....

Surely you would go the VP-200 with all that fine equipment.

The Vertical Power VP-X is more for saving panel space or just getting the in expensive option.

I would look into what you can do with the VP-200, it does a great deal and the display really adds a high degree of safety to your SOPs. Also I think with all that equipment you may not have the ability to handle enough connections with the VP-X. It is limitted. The VP-200 will give you the ability to connect more stuff to it.

On the EFIS side, be aware that Dynon does not have a vertical vector control if your going to be doing IFR approaches. I love Dynon but it just doesn't have that capability yet.

I personally like Dynon. I just like the display more. In truth either will do the job. I recon go with the one that makes you smile when you look at it.

RV7

Obsession only exists when someone else isn't doing it too.

Last edited by GusBiz : 11-18-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
Dynon doesn't support the WX-500 stormscope, but I'm 90% sure AFS doesn't either
The new AF-5500 and AF-5600 will have Stormscope support in the very near future, we have been working on it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusBiz View Post
On the EFIS side, be aware that Dynon does not have a vertical vector control if your going to be doing IFR approaches. I love Dynon but it just doesn't have that capability yet.
I bet this is a deal-breaker for many people. Hey, Dynon... what's the latest on 1) timeline for implementing glideslope tracking on Skyview and 2) will this ever be available on the legacy systems (i.e. will we ever see the AP-76)?

-Rob
EAA Chapter 1440
Closed Thread