- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Jay & Carols summer flight

Carol and Iwanted to beat the Texas 100+ heat after Oshkosh....... We launched for cooler weather...........

We flew to a 'new to us' B&B, on an airport. Crawford, Colorado. It is a hit! we recomend it. French Country Inn .com

We are now in Eagle, Colorado. Visiting my cousin. We have been doing some light hiking and heavy eating.

Next we are off toward West Yellowstone. Camping on the field. We plan to stop in or near the Wind River Mountains on the way.

The Missouri River and Winifred, Montana are a loose destination when we leave West Yellowstone, following Louis and Clarks trail eastward.

Plymouth, Indina is on our stoping list. I have a friend that sailed his 44 footer around the world that lives there. He left the British Virgin Islands with 2 kids and returned 4 years later with 3! Must be something in the water in Australia? He is a pilot now and a "farmer" .

We plan to meet up with Tobin & Jane, 'RV7' in NY the end of August for a few days in New York. We 4 will be visiting the Heberlings, 'RV10' in the 1000 Islands area of the St Laurence River.

We need to be back in Fort Worth around the 5th of Sept. I know it will still be hot, but i will be tooo broke to continue.

See you at The Bad Lands Fly - And LOE!
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Last edited by Jaypratt : 08-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM

If you're camping, try Moose Creek, Idaho. It's forest service strip, no services, back country. Beautiful place!

Not far out of your way.

It's the place I first saw some RVs, as a matter of fact, at least the first time away from Oshkosh.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome, Jaybird, tell Carol to watch out for the biting deer.

You guys are missing nothing around here, it's still 100 plus every day.

Where exactly is the airport camping at West Yellowstone? I went to Google Earth but could not see anything that looked like a camping area...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. Sorry I missed yall. Been hot here too, rained yesterday which was welcomed. Have fun
Brent Colvin VAF#147
RV 7 0-360 CS Flying
Comm, Multi, Inst.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Thumbs up Wind River Wheels

If your Wind River stop is at Pinedale (PNA), I could loan you a set of wheels for a day or two. I would offer you a bedroom. But with 2 kids packing up for college, their bedrooms could be hazardous too your health
Our day time temps have been mid-70's lately, but are forecast to soar to near 80 a couple of days this week
I'm in the white pages, but to save you looking it up: 307-360-7478
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Default Pinedale

David, We will be in Pinedale around 1:00 PM. I will give you a call.

Thanks

Scorch, The camping is on the field West Yellostone. I have not been there yet. There are some pictures in others trip rite ups...

The New York idea is fading,,,, Tobin dosen't have leave that week ,,,, so,,,, we will consider Moose Creek. But we have already been there this year. In June. The Dayton Airforce Museaum might be an option for us after, Indiana.
Jay Pratt VAF #2

Last edited by Jaypratt : 08-17-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM

Jay, I'll plan on that & wait for your call. If WYO Dave has wheels you should take him up on it, he's a good guy. Maybe we'll both meet you out there. I shed most of my extra cars when I "ran" from the FBO. I had some doozies (74 sedan deville, 73 Cuda). I had an econoline van for trailheaders that I hardly used to see all summer. You would think a pilot could drive a car without gutting it, but not always. I had one guy drive my F150 with the park brake on & the key wedged in start. Cooked the alternator, starter, start relay, and when I pulled the back wheel the drum was EMPTY. No brake shoes, spreader bar or nothin'. Same guy parked it & flew away without a word. These spam canners can really be obnoxious. Another reason I like the experimental crowd.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Fog @ Eagle Co

We have some local fog, when it clears we will launch for Pinedale.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Default West Yellowston pilot camping

Scorch - the West Yellowston pilot campground is in the pine trees off the north end of the ramp. There is an outhouse, a shower house, two water facets, and I believe 4 sites with table and fire pit. The terminal has a restaurant in it and there are rental cars available from Avis and Budget. The FBO has morning coffee and WIFI, just ask for the password. We camped at WYS during July 4th week.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Default w Yellowstone

West Yellowstone is all every one said it would be. Carol and I had a car, Avis, for two days. We have touched on some of the highlights of the Park. Really some interesting sights. It will take a lot more trips to see this wonder of nature.

Tomorrow we will head east.
Jay Pratt VAF #2