Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 AM

Default Can I provide FREE flight instruction in my homebuilt aircraft

Hi guys,

I was wondering if a CFI who owned a homebuilt could legally provide FREE flight instruction in his own homebuilt aircraft. The only thing that I have found online against such an action involves not flying a homebuilt for compensation or hire. In my example, this hypothetical CFI would be providing the instruction completely free (not even a charge for fuel). Lets say he wants to teach his mother/father/wife/son/daughter/etc how to fly. Assuming that the aircraft is otherwise properly equiped to provide such instruction, is this legal?

If it is, have any of you CFI RVers out their taught family or friends in your bird?

Thanks,

Jon
Was Building Sonex #1287
Probably starting an RV-14 project this summer.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Default No problem

as long as you are not charging anyone.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 AM

A question that has been on my mind for months and it is answered in 8 minutes here. Thanks, Mel!
Was Building Sonex #1287
Probably starting an RV-14 project this summer.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM

Default What Mel said....

.....but let me just inform you that you can do it for pay.....several of us do.

The FAA FSDO office nearest you issues what's called a LODA, or Letter of Deviation authority to do Transition training as well. I've taught my son for free. It's a PITA to go through all their hoops but once you do, it's a done deal.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Pierre,

Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page. We can teach in OUR aircraft for compensation with the LODA.

I am in the planning on starting an RV in the next year and I would LOVE to instruct someday when I have the RV experience. It would be nice to have a side job besides the airline flying thing. I am itching to get back to teach. I miss GA!

About how long did it take for you to get the LODA issued through your FSDO?

I do realize that this is about 7-10 years down the road. Just wanted to know for planning purposes.

Thanks, Ryan
Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 AM

If you do want compensation for instruction ... just have a very very expensive PGI rate for your time and the flight is free
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 AM

Pierre,
What about another situation: Can a CFII give me instrument instruction in my own RV (RV has IFR pitot/static currency and suitable nav and gyro gear)? Buddy at the airport said this was not allowed.... but I really do not know?
Thanks,
John Severyn
KLVK Livermore, Calif.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
.....but let me just inform you that you can do it for pay.....several of us do.

The FAA FSDO office nearest you issues what's called a LODA, or Letter of Deviation authority to do Transition training as well. I've taught my son for free. It's a PITA to go through all their hoops but once you do, it's a done deal.

Regards,
My understanding is that an LODA is issued to allow charging for the use of an experimental category aircraft for giving transition training only.
The airplane can not be used for hire to give primary training, such as training towards a rating (private pilot, etc.). Only training to help transition an already rated pilot into that type of aircraft.

An RV can be used for primary training as long as there is no compensation taking place (receiving money for the use of the airplane).

An RV owner (or owners family member, etc.) can pay an instructor for there time giving them primary instruction in there personal aircraft. In this case no money is exchanged for the use of the airplane.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 AM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer46 View Post
Pierre,
What about another situation: Can a CFII give me instrument instruction in my own RV (RV has IFR pitot/static currency and suitable nav and gyro gear)? Buddy at the airport said this was not allowed.... but I really do not know?
Thanks,
John Severyn
.....a CFII can give you instruction in your own RV toward that rating AND you can take the checkride in it if you can find an examiner who'll do it. It's not prohibited by FAR's.

Scott is correct in that you cannot use your RV for primary training for compensation. Another CFI, (Or you if you're a CFI) RV qualified, however, can use your RV to train your wife or other family member and charge for his time with you providing the airplane and fuel.

Ryan, it took a couple of weeks and another inspection during which I was issued new op-lims that include my being able to train for compensation and hire.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Default FAA checkride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
.....a CFII can give you instruction in your own RV toward that rating AND you can take the checkride in it if you can find an examiner who'll do it. It's not prohibited by FAR's.
This is a great post! I have had these thoughts in the back of my mind ever since my wife expressed and interest in learning. I am not a intructor but was hoping, once I build, that we could use the RV for her to learn while paying the CFI.

Does anyone know whether or not FAA checkride pilots have issue with doing this in RVs?