- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Default construction space minimums

Hello all: I am thinking of trying to build in my basement (I don't have a garage) and wondering about getting things in. The largest opening would be through a window that is 48x52 inches, and I am looking at the RV-14 QuickBuild. I know the crate dimension exceeds the window opening but I would presume the individual components, once uncrated, might fit one at a time. Also wondering about getting things back out again once completed!

Thanks for any info on this.

David Brody
Old 10-25-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Big door

SB parts will go through no problem. You may have to curl a skin. I doubt finished wings or fuse will come out. My 7 wings are about 4' wide plus the depth of the chord would make for a tight fit. 7 fuse is at least 4' wide and about the same tall. 14 is bigger. QB parts are basically finished dimension.
Buy a chainsaw!
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrodymd View Post
Hello all: I am thinking of trying to build in my basement (I don't have a garage) and wondering about getting things in. The largest opening would be through a window that is 48x52 inches, and I am looking at the RV-14 QuickBuild. I know the crate dimension exceeds the window opening but I would presume the individual components, once uncrated, might fit one at a time. Also wondering about getting things back out again once completed!

Thanks for any info on this.

David Brody
I can't find the chord of the -14 wing. Anyone? Bueller?

Your window opening is about 5'8" on the diagonal. I'm guessing the wing WILL fit through it with the flaps and ailerons removed. Worst case, maybe you leave the bottom skins and the flap/aileron hinges off, exit the nearly finished wings through the window and finish the wing(s) elsewhere.

Fuselage? I don't think there's a chance.

Compared to the cost of the project, having a larger opening cut into the basement isn't frighteningly expensive. I turned a 36" basement door into a double door (72") to get the -10 out of the basement. That was through a brick wall... Cost ~$2K, including $1K for the custom door and another $1K for the brick mason crew. I did the framing and door tear/out/installation.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I can't find the chord of the -14 wing. Anyone? Bueller?
Since there is no wing taper, just divide the area (126.1 per Van's website) by the span (27) and get 4.67 ft or 4'8". A bit smaller than the 4'10" chord of the 7/8 wing.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 PM

Default follow up construction minimums

Thanks to all. I'm thinking then that trying to open up the foundation wall would be the most workable solution. Any specifics as to the cross sectional area of the several aircraft components?

David Brody
Old 10-25-2020, 02:49 PM

Would you have room to store other parts of the plane while you're working on something? Or would you make a suitable opening and then build the plane, knowing that your new walk-out door will find other uses.

My own experience is that parts accumulate and shop space is always at a minimum, no matter how much you have.

Dave
Old 10-25-2020, 02:53 PM
unfluencer

As an option, dig/remodel when you're done.

Article and more pics: https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/20...mans_base.html

v/r,dr

PS: Dan and I no relation.
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 10-25-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Would you have room to store other parts of the plane while you're working on something? Or would you make a suitable opening and then build the plane, knowing that your new walk-out door will find other uses.

My own experience is that parts accumulate and shop space is always at a minimum, no matter how much you have.

Dave
I think there would be room, though probably a bit tight. But the advantage of working from home would, I think, outweigh any benefit from a larger but off site space. In another life I will have a garage...
Old 10-25-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
As an option, dig/remodel when you're done.

Article and more pics: https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/20...mans_base.html

v/r,dr

PS: Dan and I no relation.
I can see this, and in fact probably the only way to make it work. Great story by the way.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifft View Post
Since there is no wing taper, just divide the area (126.1 per Van's website) by the span (27) and get 4.67 ft or 4'8". A bit smaller than the 4'10" chord of the 7/8 wing.
I just measured my 10 wing (same airfoil as the 14) and without the flap or aileron its right at 48 including the brackets.