Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 AM
unfluencer

Thumbs up What did you do with your RV this weekend? (10/3/2020 - 10/4/2020)

...getting it started.
v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:13 AM

This weekend, I'll finish up my transition training in my new (to me) RV-9A. It took me 5 hours and about 20 touch-and-goes (I'm a rusty pilot). What a fantastic airplane!

So...my instructor is happy and my insurance company is happy (if an insurance company is ever happy). I'm happy too, but still a lot to learn. I can handle the airplane OK, but now I need to get more familiar with the capabilities of my full-IFR panel (430W, AFS 4500/3400, AP, and G5). It will be quite awhile before I'll ever be filing IFR in this plane, but I do want to understand the whole system in the event I'm ever dumb enough to get stuck on top or inadvertently fly into IMC.

I just replaced a dead ADI with a G5. I now have three different altimeters and the last step in this RV rehab project is a pitot-static leak test and IFR certification for all three altimeters. They all agree at various altitudes, but I want to get the system certified. My instructor is taking the plane back to his own airport today so his avionics guys can get that done on Tuesday. When it comes back on Wednesday, next step will be pulling the interior for a deep cleaning of seats and carpet...something I've been itching to do since we ferried it back. I'll install the Anti-Splat foot-bar thing in an attempt to spare the interior any further abuse. I may need to look at aileron push-rod boots too....I noticed some cold air intrusion flying on this rather cool weekend.

My first excursion into a fast low-wing airplane, and first experience with Experimental aircraft. What a blast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N43KK hangars.png
Views:	129
Size:	928.4 KB
ID:	3046  
Old 10-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Default Left bottom wing skins done.

With the help of a good friend (Tom Velvick) we spent 7 hours riveting the bottom skins on to the left wing of my 7. FYI - If you haven't done this yet plan for full day for each wing or into several sessions. That wing walk area is a PITA to work in.

Name:	20201003_151802.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	3051
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 10-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Watched a little golf.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Park City.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	3054  
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM

Glad you asked, DR.

Yesterday morning, I had planned to fly my RV to Santa Paula (KSZP) for lunch, and fuel. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

Shortly before I planned to leave my house, a friend called to see if I could help him fly a Challenger 604 from KTRM to KSBA, and back. He would fly us out and back between KTRM, about a 30 minute flight, in his C180. Since my RV and his C180 are based at the same airport, this worked out fine. So, off we went..

I knew that VAF'er bruceh planned to fly to KSBA yesterday as well, and it just so happens as we were holding short at KSBA, he was landing. Hard to miss a purple RV; and I was happy to wait for him to land before taking off.

After finishing the work flying, I found myself back at L18 and debating where to fly my plane. It was nearly 3:30 PM, and I wanted to be home within two hours, so I decided to go down to KSDM to pick up some gas, mixed with a nice flight along the coast. The flight was fine, and the gas was cheap ($3.35/gallon) but the visibility left a bit to be desired. Still, a fun day of flying though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9265.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	3055  
Old 10-04-2020, 12:28 PM

We did go to Santa Barbara. Last weekend the trip up there was hampered by coastal weather keeping us from getting a decent start. This weekend my son decided he wanted to go instead of my daughter. I went to the airport for the EAA chapter meeting there at 10am and when my son showed up, we got going. The flight up we got put at 6500' by ATC, so we elected to cross the LA Bravo via the coastal route, then an easy cruise into SBA. We taxied over to the self serve fuel, filled up then parked at Signature. If you buy fuel, no charges for the day! They also shuttled us over to Goleta Beach and back. My daughter still wants to do this trip, so maybe we will be back up here sooner than later. On the way back we had a bit of a headwind and it was mostly smoky. We climbed up to 9500' and did the Coliseum route on the way back.

Photos are here.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2020 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 10-04-2020, 01:00 PM

So my original fuel servo came back from overhaul and got the re-install done a little less than 2 weeks ago. Did an oil change at the time. A week ago last Wednesday I went for my post maintenance flight - at least that was the plan. Hit a pothole at the foot of the taxiway closest to my hangar and soon noticed a pull to the left. A short taxi led to a strong pull so I let it stop and knew from the angle that the plane was at that I had a flat tire. 2 hours to get it back to the hangar and a week for a replacement. Replaced the tire and tube this past Thursday - first time I'd looked at the damage. All it took was a 3/16" long nick in the tube. I'll patch it up and have a spare I guess.

Now that I've done the background, fast forward to what I did this weekend. Went up for 1.2 Saturday morning to test my repaired servo, post oil-change check and tire check. Oh, and I installed my replacement left upper intersection fairing (lost the original during the Airberta poker rally in August), so that was tested too. It had been a month since my last flight - too long.

Good flight, had it up to 10.5 for a while, everything ran and flew well. TAS was better than I've seen in a while, up as high as 146 KT at 62% power (WOT/2400). Not bad at all for my slow plane, book is 145 KT at 55%. I'll take it.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 10-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Default Condition inspection underway

Condition inspection has started. My rv12 is in pieces! Hope to wrap up this week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201003_140056.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	3074  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_140103.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	3075  
Old 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM

Default Beach detour on the way to CI

Loaded up and headed to the Outer Banks for the weekend. Flew into KMQI Manteo, Dare County after a bounce at First Flight. There, we met up with daughter and boyfriend to celebrate her birthday before continuing on to Falcon Field today so Vic and Base Leg Aviation can do my first CI since I became the caretaker of Roger Mell’s dream machine. Later this week it’s back North to the grind, but for now enjoying some quality time with the -7.
RV-7 #72497
Lycoming IO-360-M1A, Catto 3-blade,
Dual GRT HX, Garmin 530W, SL30, GTX327
TruTrak II VSGV, EchoUAT
2021 Dues (Plus) Paid
Old 10-04-2020, 07:44 PM

Saturday: oil change.

Sunday: took a little trip down toward Auburn (K01) and Nebraska City (AFK) from Millard (MLE). My daughter and her kids were headed up to see us by car. I intercepted and did a few parallel passes off to the side (and at a safe and legal altitude, of course) so the kids could see, complete with a few wing wags.

After seeing the in-flight movie, “Close Encounters of the Bird Kind”, I decided that perhaps a higher altitude would be advisable, so I climbed and headed home. Those hawks and buzzards seem to think they own the place. I wasn’t going to argue with them.

Once home I found out that they were actually coming up to attend a surprise birthday party... for me.

Good times.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)