Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 04:36 PM

Default RV-8 accident - Mandan, ND

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20200613X70924

If what is written here turns out to be true this sure looks tragically preventable.

Quote:
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, June 13, 2020 in Mandan, ND
Aircraft: Vans RV8, registration: N836JC
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On June 13, 2020, about 1400 central daylight time, a Vans RV8 airplane, N836JC, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident near Mandan, North Dakota. The pilot sustained fatal injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

According to initial information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), a witness observed the airplane on the ramp prior to the flight and advised the pilot that the rear seat belt was securing the rear control stick. The pilot subsequently departed in the airplane on runway 13 at the Mandan Municipal Airport (Y19), near Mandan, North Dakota. The takeoff was a 3-point takeoff and the airplane subsequently had a steep climb. The airplane descended, impacted terrain, and a ground fire occurred.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Oh that's utterly tragic, I drive an 8 and it's the single most concerning issue I am paranoid about, making sure the controls are free at all times as unlike the side by side machines I can't view the rear control stick. Most likely was avoidable this event, RIP��

Last edited by Capt : 06-20-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:20 PM

Years ago there was a fatal RV-6 accident at Arlington WA. caused by the same thing -- in this case it was the passenger side stick.

Because of that accident I have NEVER used the passenger stick to tie back the controls, only the pilot side stick. Something that should universally taught and practiced in RVs IMHO.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 06-20-2020, 10:24 PM

Who takes off with the stick in full back position.... either way sad to hear

14 build working on wings
Old 06-20-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikpmort View Post
True, and it highlights another aspect of the accident at Arlington. The guy had let himself get hurried by the ground crew urging people to hurry up on account of all the departures from the fly-in. Another lesson there, remember at all times that YOU are the PIC, take that to heart. I can't say I've never been susceptible, but I do my best to remember it.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 06-21-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikpmort View Post
I can't even safely get into the pilot seat of my -8 if the stick is in the full aft position!

Skylor
Old 06-21-2020, 01:44 AM

I start my t/o roll stick full back but in the 8 it's just a few seconds then it gets moved fwd. would take about 2 secs to realise something was not right.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6n6r View Post
Because of that accident I have NEVER used the passenger stick to tie back the controls, only the pilot side stick. Something that should universally taught and practiced in RVs IMHO.
+1. I will never use anything that locks the controls that does not happen at the pilot seat. Also my preflight and taxi check list has move control stick full travel on it 3 times (once before engine start so if issue don?t have to shut down, once before taxi, and once as last item on check list before taking active runway)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-21-2020, 08:11 AM

This sickens me...I don't even have my rear stick installed unless I am going to have a pilot passenger. Then I remove it when I get back. I have to move my stick to even get into my seat. I just don't see how you would even intentionally do this.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Every takeoff should be proceeded by a full control check. I hammer this into every new pilot I fly with. The Airforce not long ago lost a C130 because they failed to do a control check. Never push the power up for any takeoff unless you have verified the controls are free and correct.