- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Powered tow bar

I have been doing a search on powered tow bars. I have electric power available at the hangar so I do believe I've narrowed it down to electric powered, unless someone can provide a reason why not.
We have three aircraft in my hangar that I would like to be able to adapt this tow bar to. (1) RV-10, (2) Supercub with Alaskan baby Bushwheel (3) and a 172.
I've been looking at ACS for simplicity of searching so I will use there part # for discription purposes. The nose wheel dragger gets my attention as it might work on all three AC without changing adaptors , P/N 13-051505.
P/N 13-04513 , the heavy duty tow Buddy might work but would need three sets of adaptors, one for each aircraft.
The RV-10 and 172 should be easily moved with one bar but the SuperCub might be a challenge. I have a concrete apron with a very slight raise going into the hangar, it's just getting hard on my back when I'm by myself.
Anyone with experience , could you please give me some advice on which model. Also it does not have to be one of the above models.Happy New year Ron
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I bought this one about 2 1/2 years ago for my RV-10. http://www.powertow.com/12V.html The folks at Power Tow built the adapters for my airplane. It took a couple of try's, but I ended up with adapters that work quite well. Power Tow does not recommend their electric tug for cold climates. It is supposedly rated for aircraft up to 4700 lbs, but I think mine would have trouble moving an airplane that heavy. A neighbor was going to get one for his Mooney, but Power Tow talked him into a gas powered unit saying the electric might not be hefty enough for the Mooney.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Last edited by dmaib : 01-02-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added URL
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM

I owned a gas 8 HP Aero -Tow for 10 years, quality was excellent, plenty of towing power no problems moving a Cessna Twin.
The disadvantage was it was hard to start when the temperatures dropped and your clothes would stink after using it.
Aero-Tow discontinued the gas model and now only makes electric powered units.
Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased the electric model over the gas unit.
The owner Terry is very knowledgable and should be able to answer your questions about cold weather operation.

http://www.aero-tow.com/index.html
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM

My hangar is heated and we do not get that cold of temperatures here in southern Nova Scotia. I doubt the lakes will freeze enough to land on this winter as are the predictions. We have had maybe two what I would call cold winters in my fifty years of existence. Other than an overnight freeze we still are totally thawed out here and never installed the plow yet, lakes are still float usable most days.
I measured the clearance between the wheel fairing and ground and we only have 2 1/4" not the three inches needed for the Nose Dragger.

David, I assume the adaptors could be made on a lathe by oneself? That is what I was thinking of , purchasing a unit and making the adaptors to fit each AC.
Thanks Ron
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Default I have used all three Power Tows

The gasoline, electric, and battery on my aircraft thru the years. They all work really well. My favorite is my (current) battery powered. I use it on the RV-10 and RV-8A. I have used the others on 182, twin Comanches, etc.

The battery powered job will move any of the airplanes described, up a reasonable incline.

For the adapter, I just use a Beech Bonanza adapter, turned around, with the tubing drilled out just a "smidgen" to fit over the allen heads. I have to readust for each of the -8A, and 10, but it is just a couple of small allen head screws to loosen.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
My hangar is heated and we do not get that cold of temperatures here in southern Nova Scotia. I doubt the lakes will freeze enough to land on this winter as are the predictions. We have had maybe two what I would call cold winters in my fifty years of existence. Other than an overnight freeze we still are totally thawed out here and never installed the plow yet, lakes are still float usable most days.
I measured the clearance between the wheel fairing and ground and we only have 2 1/4" not the three inches needed for the Nose Dragger.

David, I assume the adaptors could be made on a lathe by oneself? That is what I was thinking of , purchasing a unit and making the adaptors to fit each AC.
Thanks Ron
With the right tools and the right amount of "know how", the adapters could easily be made IMHO. I did not posses either, so I bought them from Power Tow
One of my adapter arms is widened (if that makes any sense) to make it fit around the "fat" Van's nose wheel pant. I will try to get a photo tomorrow.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Last edited by dmaib : 01-02-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add text
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM

The Power Tow units look really good but I have had a totally different approach that has cost me almost nothing. I agree that it does not do exactly the same, but maybe 99% of the job.

I have modified my towbar in order to tow it by car to the fuel bay - cannot pull this beast on my own ops:
The handle part is removable and then I just add the extension with the tow hitch. Works like a charm!

http://www.rvbits.com
RV10 - ZU-XOX - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-JRV - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-JVR - (Written off)
RV7 - ZU-LOL - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-RVI - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-MER (Bought back)
RV7A - ZU-JAD (Sold Flying)
Dues paid for 2021 WITH A SMILE
Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Electric Aero-Tow

I know the gas Aero-Tow was mentioned, but is anyone using Aero-Tow E-200 for their RV10? will it work in an RV7A also? how happy are you with it?

I'm looking at getting one and not sure what direction to go.

Thanks
Alex D
www.RVTraining.com
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I am, but you will need longer arms for it than what comes with it. However, they will make them for you at no charge. If you tell him send the same size arms as you made for Vic, he could probably do that if he kept records. If not, let me know if you go that route, and I will measure mine and send the masurements to you.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks Vic

Did you get to use the same one in your RV7A as the RV10? Once you find the measurements, let me know. I will ask Terry to build them the same.

Best
Alex