Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

I can't describe the sadness upon hearing of these tragedies. I't doesn't deter me from loving to fly but it surely makes me appreciate the time I get to spend with family and friends.

My prayers are with his family and friends.
N-284DP (Reserved)
Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Our deep condolences to Mark's family and friends, our prayers will be with them. May the Lord comfort them
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Default Very Sad

I had the pleasure of knowing Mark personally. He was a great and very conservative pilot. I gave him and his son a check out in my RV10.

My deepest Condolences to the family and friends.

God's speed Mark!

Alex
Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Really nice guy, very sad to hear this.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 PM

I talked to the the Mission commander earlier, after the fog lifted this morning it was less than an hour before they found the plane. State Police helicopter, CAP ground teams and several CAP aircraft were were involved in the search.

The ELT did not activate, guys check your ELTs and make sure they are installed per manufactures recommendation and secured real well to the airplane. I don't know if his was and wouldn't speculate on that anyway, but I've seen some interesting installs over the years!!

God speed Mark
Midlothian TX
Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Fair Winds and God Speed.....

I can't say that I new Mark well, but through more than a year of meeting for lunches, I feel that I knew him as a friend. Mark was always the first one to respond to the call for a lunch meeting somewhere in Texas, and he so often brought someone else along to enjoy the thrill of flying in his RV. He always had a smile and a good story, enjoyed other's company as much as I enjoyed his. He was a gentleman in every sense of the word, best that I can tell.

I was trapped inside the big windowless box known as Mission Control all day, but part of my mind was in the field, waiting and watching for the weather to clear so the volunteers could get out and find him. I watched the web sites and news sources, and although I knew in my heart the most probable outcome, I held a glimmer of hope that something miraculous could occur. The truth came as expected, and all I could do was share the news with the other pilots in the room, all of whom had been informed of what was going on, and all of whom are with us in spirit.

As I left the Control Center in the afternoon, walking into an unfairly beautiful spring day, with clear skies and no wind, I felt that there was only one thing I could do to honor Mark's own spirit...and so, a little while later, I found myself at 5,000', twisting and turning, looping and rolling, thoughts of my new but now so distant friend drifting out into the western sky with the sun. And I think that part of him will always be there in the Texas sky that he enjoyed so much.

Farewell Mark - you are sorely missed.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Bad news

Yea, I just got a google alert a few hours ago, had to post my condolences. Here are some nice links that gives a little insight Mark Ritter:

http://www.keyetv.com/content/news/t...0-d6356ad87814

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp...8&nav=0s3caC93

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by Ironflight : 03-12-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Removed well-intentioned comment that speculates on cause of the crash
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Mark

I got to know Mark over the last several years while visiting with the guys at the "Plane Talk" hangar in Lockhart. I knew him as true gentleman and enthusistic RV pilot---soft spoken but always a smile and a story. A week ago Tuesday we flew as a flight of two from Lockhart to Llano for lunch--Mark, Chuck, and Phil in his 10 and Ted and I in my 9. Met him again in Llano for lunch on Saturday along with about 9 other RV pilots and their passengers. There in Llano plans were made for Sundays trip to Brenham for lunch--which was Marks final flight. Due to prior commitments I could not attend.

Many people are hurting right now over this incredibly tragic event--his family in particular and his extended family at the "Plane Talk" hangar in Lockhart. He had brothers there and I hurt for them as well.

God Speed Mark!!

db
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Oh my

I'm sure this brings a lump to all our throats...

Frank
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Yesterday was a sad day. Like Paul, I suspected there would be bad news at the end of the search but I was holding out for a miracle ending.

I woke up several times Sunday night thinking about Mark spending the night in a cow pasture. Each time I woke up, I took the time to say a prayer for him.

Little did I know, Mark was already home. But this time God decided home wasn't going to be Lockhart or Austin.

I'm really holding out hope Mark became incapacitated at some point in his flight. If he was, then I find comfort in his last memory being at 2500 headed home to Lockhart. That's an ending I wouldn't mind sharing.

Enjoy your new wings, Mark. Unlike your RV-10, these wings took 70+ years of work deburring, fitting, priming, and assembling. They'll last you forever now and they're really something you can be proud of.

You will be missed by all of us, but you're really not too far way.

Phil

Last edited by Phil : 03-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.