Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2020, 01:06 PM

Default Am I really doing this? Introduction

Hello, we wanted to introduce ourselves as we anticipate spending countless hours on here over the next number of years. My wife and I live 15 minutes south of the Mpls/St Paul area and have placed an order for the tools to build an RV-10. We plan on placing our order for the empanage kit in January. Should give us time to finish some house projects, clean out the garage and work on the practice kits that will be arriving shortly.

If there is anyone local who is working on or completed a 10 we would love to meet and ask questions.

Thanks

-Matt and Sarah
Old 11-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Matt and Sarah-----welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Good to see another husband and wife team building a plane

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-28-2020, 01:45 PM

I don't know about -10's, but Tom Berge at Crystal might be a useful resource.

http://www.rvtransition.com/tom-berge/
Old 11-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Steinair

U must be near KFBL. Look in on Stein. Im sure some of your $$$ will end up there.
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
600+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018 & 2019 & Petit Jean 2019
Old 11-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Check out the Twin Cities RV Builders Group. mnwing.org
Old 11-28-2020, 06:52 PM

Suggest you find a nearby EAA Chapter and visit with them. You should be able to find a Tech Counselor to help you out, as well as lots of willing conversations. (At least once the pandemic has subsided anyway.) Looking at the EAA website - find a chapter (https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-chapters/find-an-eaa-chapter) it shows both a South St. Paul chapter (southsaintpauleaa.org) and a St. Paul chapter ( eaa54.org).

Welcome to the RV-10 builders madness.

RV-10 First Flight April 1, 2020. Phase 1 Complete
2021 VAF Dues Paid (plus a little more)
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 PM

Welcome to the world of airplane building. Im a newby too! Just started the elevators on my 10. Its a great experience...hours of boredom: deburing, filing, drilling and fitting, cleco then un-cleco etc. Then followed by fear, trepidation and finally the grin when you get a section riveted!

Cheers
Keith

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 11-28-2020, 09:16 PM

Thanks and all great advice! We joined the Twincities RV builders group last week. A real bummer that with covid not much for in person meetings or networking. We have attended one of the South St Paul chapter EAA Pancake breakfasts and will explore that chapter further.

Have also heard great things about Stien Air and fully anticipate using their services when the time comes.

I ordered the electronic plans for the RV10 that supposedly come on USB drive. Any ideas on how to best make use of those in the short and long term?
Old 11-29-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huse0054 View Post
I ordered the electronic plans for the RV10 that supposedly come on USB drive. Any ideas on how to best make use of those in the short and long term?
I keep a copy of the electronic plans (pdf files) on my home computer and on an old iPad that I leave in the shop/hanger. This allows me to view the plans at home without taking the paper plans book home, which helped me occasionally with my builder's log entries and in looking up specific plans pages to better understand other VAF member postings. Having the plans on the iPad at the workshop location also makes it much easier to do a search for a specific part number (using Acrobat search function) or key word when I was trying to look ahead to understand a particular instruction (e.g. leave rivets out for now, etc.) or when I wanted to look back at earlier operations once I reached a place calling out previously performed or omitted work. Now that I am flying, the search function of Acrobat helps me find the right section when I want to service or check a part of the plans.

Also, Van's only sends you the paper plans for each specific kit shipped to you. So if you have only purchased the Empennage kit and want to figure out how something in that part of the kit fits with the rest of the plane, you will need the electronic plans to look ahead to the rest of the build.

In other words, the electronic instructions are well worth the small price that Van's charges.

Cheers,

RV-10 First Flight April 1, 2020. Phase 1 Complete
2021 VAF Dues Paid (plus a little more)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:33 PM
unfluencer

Welcome Matt and Sarah to the greatest hobby on Earth! Welcome to the site and looking forward to seeing progress in the future.

Youre going to love that plane!!!!!

v/r,
dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.