- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:47 AM

Default Negative NaySayers

I got my empennage kit almost two years ago and didn't start working on it until about 4 months after receiving it. About the same time my mother fell and broke her hip so I had to stop to take care of her for 6 months. Then, her hip did not heal and had to have a total hip replacement, so that was another 6 months of taking care of her. Further, I had a spinal simulator implanted to help manage my back pain from being fuse from L2 to S1. So again, I didn't work on my airplane for awhile. I have very little done with my plane so far.

The only reason I am telling you this is because I constantly get snide remarks from friends and others like "you will never finish that plane" or "How little progress have you made on that plane" or "You will be too old to fly when that plane is done". Constant negativity from people about my airplane which has nothing to do with them. I build for enjoyment and yes I do want to fly as well. With my heart condition, Light Sport is my only option so I can't go out and buy a plane to fly why I am building. I just had a recent heart event again which required another stent, so Private Pilot license is definitely out of the question.

So my question to you all is this, "How do you deal with negativity and constant snide remarks from people about building my airplane"? It does irritate me and I am not always able to brush it off. I like my friends but enough is enough!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:01 AM

The way to deal with negative comments is to tell the person how their comments affect you.
Do not be defensive or make excuses for your shortcomings.
Do not become aggressive and attack the other person.
Just tell them how their comments make you feel and ask them to not do that any more.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:03 AM
unfluencer

Say "I do this instead of sitting on the couch watching people yell at each other on TV."
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:04 AM

Tell them you are going to sell it and give up the project. Then don't tell them you are working on it, don't talk about it with them. Most don't think it bothers you to make their comments they are just having fun with you at your expense.
Build on, if their comments bother you I can tell you plan on finishing the project.
AirCam flying
Old 08-29-2020, 10:24 AM

These don't sound like friends at all. It's time for new friends.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
These don't sound like friends at all. It's time for new friends.
First thing I thought of too! If I had friends like that - it wouldnt be for long.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 AM

I experienced the same thing. You get all kinds of stupid remarks when the neighbors see you building a “plane” in your garage. After they see the final product it usually shuts them up.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM

First of all, very few know I'm building an airplane.

Everything is in my hangar almost an hour away.
Between all the projects around home, recent rotator cuff surgery, and wanting plenty of goof-off time in summer, progress has been slow.
I will also be building a new hangar at the airport close by. Already bought the land.

Standard answer: I enjoy the build process.
Whenever I'm able to scoot down to the hangar, I enjoy whatever tasks I'm able to complete.
I choose not to bring small projects home, as I have a nicely set up shop area, with all tools & materials organized there.
I don't want to get into trying to remember what tools are at the hangar, and what I've brought home.
Building the airplane is an enjoyable escape. It will fly when it's ready to fly. Someday.
___ This month
___ This year
_X_ This century
Old 08-29-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Handling All That Stuff

Narcissistic nabobs of negativism. Maybe tell them the act of building is actually the thing. “And after I’ve kept at it long enough, I’ll have a great airplane.” But really, I like the idea that maybe these folks aren’t very good friends. They’re sure not airplane people. I’ve never built a whole airplane, but I’ve restored some, as my job. Funny, when you’re doing it for someone else and getting paid for it, the questions shift to “When’s it going to be done?” Standard answer, “Tuesday.” We never say which Tuesday. Setting a completion date is related to the balloon pilots’ philosophy, to wit: “Choose a destination, and you’ll never get there.”

Last edited by JDeanda : 08-29-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehiggy View Post
... I constantly get snide remarks from friends and others like "you will never finish that plane" or...
I acquired a third hand RV-6 empennage kit about 25 years ago. Once I got to a point where I needed help, I invited one of my best friends over to buck rivets or something like that. He helped me drill, deburr, dimple, and buck a bunch of rivets before he moved to Florida about the time the airplane went up on its gear.

A few years later, we were sitting under the RV-6's wing at Oshkosh and he confessed "When I first saw that empennage kit, I thought to myself "There's no way that ever gets finished.""

That's a friend - who bites his/her tongue and is willing to help even if he suspects the situation is hopeless. Friends don't figuratively **** on your dreams.
2019(?) RV-10