Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM
unfluencer

Default Critique My Checklist (RV-6)

(5th line of Before Takeoff explained).....Gas(verify L or R), Instruments(Baro, HDG bug, Altitude level-off set), Flaps(up), Trim(for T/O), Strobes(OFF), Transponder(ALT), Pump(OFF), CanopyCanopy(both latches secure - RV6 tip up has two), BeltBelt(both belts secure), Controls(free/correct). 12 seconds to say and point.. If you can remember GIFT and STP you're most of the way there.

In the last 18 years, I've started the engine in the chocks, taken off with the pitot cover on, taken off with one of the two canopy latches unlatched, and left the oil door open (it pops up at rotation). Using this checklist faithfully would have caught those. I'd like to avoid doing these things again.

Yours in safely RVating,
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-23-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:53 PM

I can’t see anything wrong with it, Doug. If you put an abnormal/emergency checklist on the back, it would be perfect. I particularly like the way it Is formatted. Looks like what I was used to when I was paid to fly - very professional. I wish I could make mine look like that. Even though mine is in laminated in plastic, it is crude compared to what I had before and what you have created. I also have a condensed QR checklist stuck on my IP in front of my face with things that could kill me if I forget them, just for 3 critical phases of flight. These items are also on my expanded checklist. My emergency checklist is separate, but I would prefer to have it on the back of my normal checklist, like you are proposing for yours.

Yours looks good to me.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 06-23-2020, 07:08 PM

I would add under "Engine Start"...Stick full back!

Under "Taking Runway"...Flaps as Required

Under "After take off"...Flaps Up

Under "Before Landing"...Flaps as Required

Under "After Landing"...Flaps Up

This is just me. I always use 15° flaps for take off. You're off the ground quicker and by doing it every time, you develop a habit and don't forget to raise them after take off. My routine is to raise the flaps when I turn off the boost pump.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by Mel : 06-23-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Doug:

Engine Start -- Propellor should be Propeller with an "e'".

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, Aero Valley, Whatever, TX)
Old 06-23-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispratt View Post
Doug:
Engine Start -- Propellor should be Propeller with an "e'".
Chris
Or just use "Prop".
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 06-23-2020, 09:08 PM

Yep, missed that one Mel. Should be some reference to flaps prior to takeoff. I simply have “Flaps Up” on the before start checklist. [ed. There is, Scott....it's the 'F' in GIFTSTPCCBBC - "Flaps (for T/O)" in the Before Takeoff section. Flaps would also be covered in the 'Preflight.....Perform' line, as well as part of the post-flight section (Flaps.....UP). v/r,dr] I only have 2 (manual) flap positions on my airplane - Up and Down - so I don’t use flaps for takeoff, and I leave them down after landing (usually - maybe alter that on windy/gusty landings), because my grandkids love my hangar and want to climb in the airplane, so I’m protecting my flaps from damage.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-24-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 PM
unfluencer

Thanks all!

Scott: I’m working on the back now (Emergency, etc)

Mel/Scott: I added ‘Stick Back’. ‘F’ in GIFT STP is ‘Flaps for T/O’, but I did add ‘Flaps…..Verify UP’ to the After T/O section. I’d missed that. I’ve never been a flaps 15 T/O guy (but you never know - I could change) <g>.

Chris: Thanks for the Prop typo…..fixed.

Slowly morphing into what works best for me, it gives me something to test each flight, and I promise I’ll host the native Mac Pages file online when I’m done if anyone wants to use it as a starting point (the margins and dot leaders are all set up). I’ve tried to basically duplicate the style of the Phenom QRH I’m spending time with occasionally.

Really appreciate the suggestions!

• Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM

AFTER SHUTDOWN...

Do you have manual flaps? [ed. Yes. v/r,dr] If so disregard the question, if not, how do you get the flaps up after all the switches are off?

Also, I've seen most people park with their flaps in the down position (I do) to disuade people from stepping on them getting in/out of the airplane.

-Rick
RV-8A N306R #82456 Bought/Sold
RV-14 N327RT #140347 Slow Built/Flying
TBolt IO-390, Dual PMAGS, Hartzell composite, Dual HDX, GTN-650
Phase 1 Complete 4/17/2019

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-24-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 PM

I like it.... use it.
If you need to modify it do so, but don't make it longer.This is a RV not a B737 two crew transport. It's a nice size now...

Personally I use flow top to bottom, front to back, CIGARS, Lights/Camera/Action, GUMPS and Aviate/Navigate/Communicate.
Emergency committed to memory and reviewed the before you fly first flight of day. T/O brief to self out loud normal and IF engine failure early or late (plan, speeds).

I'd recommend using it as a CHECK list not a DO list. Each item look, take a beat and respond. I say that because there can be an expectancy where you see what you want. Ask me how I know... Don't ask :-)

Before Start - Personally I would find more value AFTER start, oil pressure and LEAN the HECK out of it for taxi.... Pilots wounder why they have fouled plugs and have lead deposited. All taxi should be lean.... Should you enrich for run-up? No not really, may be a little, but also consider high density altitude and lean for max RPM.

PS After Shut Down- You say all switches off than later flaps up. Likely not going to work. I bring flaps up after landing clear of runway. Frankly I would skip the After Shut Down section, but it is your check list. Do you really need to be told to put headset away? I think it is fine; just not my opinion.

Before shut down I may do a short runup and lean to miss. Then I shut down. You should see an RPM rise. Bottom line it cleans the plugs out.

The after-take off, en-route, descent.... some of this is normal procedures and should be memorized or Mnemonics... head out of cockpit, but no criticism; if this helps you. Not sure if you have EFIS or avionics with checklist, consider going paperless.

Mnemonics
CIGARS - Controls (free correct), Instruments (Baro Compass correct), Gas (tank as desired), Attitude (Trim), Run Up (Engine Inst, mixture as Req, L&R ignition, Prop exercise), Safety (belts, canopy, T/O brief)
Taking Runway - Lights/Camera/Action - Lights (self explanatory), Camera (transponder), Action (T/O clearance or call departure, flow "L" or "?" pattern: canopy, mixture, boost, flap trim)
GUMPS - Gas (tank as desired + pump), Undercarriage (Gear down & welded/ Flaps), Mixture (rich or as needed for high density Alt, Prop (High RPM), Safety (Belts, lights, pray :-)
After landing - Flaps up, Transponder off, LEAN mixture - (Routine normal procedure by memory and flow pattern)
AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE - For any emergency or flight regime, commit to memory speeds.
TURN, TIME, TRANSITION, TWIST, TALK - IFR transition IAF, FAF

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 06-24-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:56 PM

My checklists have a couple of items yours do not. Rationale on parentheses. Differences are mostly technique/preference? not the stuff that will kill you. BTW: That stuff gets bold type in my checklist.

You also include some items I don?t have, and I appreciate the opportunity to make improvements!

In ?Before Start?
- Passenger Brief COMPLETE

In "After Engine Start?
- Oil Pressure CHECK
- Volts/Amps. CHARGING (no point in taxiing if these are misbehaving)

Last item in ?Before Takeoff? is
- Engine failure on TO - (This is a recommitment to specific Altitudes/turn directions to:
A).Stop on runway,
B). Land straight ahead/available open field
C). Land on another runway
D). Return to TO runway via the impossible turn
E). Abbreviated pattern to land into the wind
The specifics depend on aircraft performance, airport layout, surroundings, DA, traffic, etc. I like knowing exactly what I will do if the engine quits, without having to figure it out when the fan stops and time is critical. This is a useful carryover from my glider training where every aero tow anticipates an untimely rope break.)

In ?Taking Runway?
- Mixture RICH (I sometimes lean during taxi or during/after run-up but want to take off full rich)
- Flaps AS REQUIRED (half or none depending on conditions)

In ?After Landing?
- Flaps up (I prefer to taxi with flaps up, so have this here rather than in ?After Shutdown?. In fact, I usually lower the flaps again after shutdown to facilitate egress.)

The best checklist is the one that YOU USE ? every time.

Peter