Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
With the Vans machines having such well balanced flight controls it's difficult to imagine taxiing without moving the stick a little bit even unintentionally especially if there is any wind about! Control locks are meant to be in full view of the pilot and generally fitted so as not to be able to either start the engine or operate it above idle, securing a control column/stick with a seat belt is a no no anyway!
On caravans I've seen guys put the control lock in upside down intentionally to prevent scratching the panels with the flag. This puts the flag on the other side of the yoke, safely not scratching up the panel, but not even close to blocking anything.

Fedex lost a caravan to this very thing a number of years ago. No matter how full proof you make something, there is always a way to defeat it.

As far as using the seat belt as a gust lock, on some airplanes, that's the only way to keep them from flopping around as they weren't designed with a gust lock in mind.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=

Last edited by Desert Rat : 06-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:17 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
.....securing a control column/stick with a seat belt is a no no anyway!
The pilot's seat belt in the RV-6 is a pretty good gust lock and can't be overlooked. I have a more refined lock for extended use but the belt works fine for a lunch stop.

Back to the subject of this thread, the loss of the RV-8 and pilot is a tragedy, our thoughts are with his family and friends......

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 06-22-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Once in my 7A I felt that something didn't feel right with the rudder pedals. I don't recall if I was on the ground or airborne. After a little investigating I found the passenger seat belt laying over the right rudder cable. Not locked or anything but laying over it none the less. Now it's part of my checks.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 06-22-2020, 10:13 AM

Years ago I picked up DT CIGARS from the American Bonanza Society. I usually fly at least a couple of different aircraft every week. DT CIGARS covers most deadly items for GA.

D - Doors (or canopy for us)

T - Trim

C - Controls (all 4 corners)

I - Instruments (heading bug / barro / altitude selector)

G - Gas (pump on and fullest tank)

A - Altitude (initial altitude for IFR or briefed altitude for tun back)

R - Radio (departure / squawk )

S - Safety Belts

This 15 second menomic before crossing the holdshort line has helped me for years in dozens of different aircraft. I at least try and introduce it on each Flight Review

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-22-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
Years ago I picked up DT CIGARS from the American Bonanza Society. I usually fly at least a couple of different aircraft every week. DT CIGARS covers most deadly items for GA.

D - Doors (or canopy for us)

T - Trim

C - Controls (all 4 corners)

I - Instruments (heading bug / barro / altitude selector)

G - Gas (pump on and fullest tank)

A - Altitude (initial altitude for IFR or briefed altitude for tun back)

R - Radio (departure / squawk )

S - Safety Belts

This 15 second mnemonic before crossing the holdshort line has helped me for years in dozens of different aircraft. I at least try and introduce it on each Flight Review
Is this a mnemonic that you're supposed to use taxiing onto the runway? If so, OK. If this is a sort of "checklist" mnemonic, the "R" that I've always heard is runup, which skipping that would be a lot more deadly than mistuned radios..
Old 06-22-2020, 06:00 PM

Unhappy All Too Common!!!

.... This is precisely why we elected to make our Ultimate-Gust-Lock the way we did! I have seen this type
of accident time and time again, and have actually lost three good friends due to forgetting to remove the
gust lock on their aircraft before departure. This type of accident is really a tragedy, and should never ever
happen. My heart goes out to all the loved ones. Regards, Allan
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 06-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Flyinhood: your mnemonic is very close to the one I used in the military and used throughout my corporate flying (and still use in private flying): Here Comes The Flight Safety Officer. I have changed it slightly but it still covers everything as does yours...

Harness, Hydraulics
Canopy, Controls
Trim, Tension, Temperatures, and Pressure
Fuel, Flaps
Switches
Oxygen

All of the mnemonics are good if they cover all the necessary items...

John
Old 06-22-2020, 08:01 PM
unfluencer

Default Posting rule #2

A horrible tragedy. Two words stand out:
PRELIMINARY

and

FATAL

There sure is a lot of speculation going on in this post regarding this accident (rules violation #2 at http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm). By all means offer words of condolence for the family and friends, but let's curb the speculation until the FINAL report comes out. Per the rules.

If you would like to start up a thread in the Safety sub-forum on the importance of checking control locks and using checklists, I can't think of a better thread!

Thanks,
dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-22-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:02 PM

What a needless accident if true. ALWAYS use the checklist I dont care what plane an individual if operating. I use mine everytime including landing. Seems I miss the fuel pump on switch the most
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Is this a mnemonic that you're supposed to use taxiing onto the runway? If so, OK. If this is a sort of "checklist" mnemonic, the "R" that I've always heard is runup, which skipping that would be a lot more deadly than mistuned radios..
This mnemonic will get you off the runway, on with departure, and in the goo with out the top items that kill pilots.

Forgetting the runup?? I'd like to know how that pilot gets dressed in the morning or successfully drives to the airport?

Having the wrong squawk in or wrong freq for departure on a SID is a bad place to be. I've done that. Single Pilot IFR in RVs has a lot going on. 2 most common FAA violations are Nav and Alt errors.

This mnemonic taught to me by the American Bonanza Society has helped me reduce most deadly items and NASA form opportunities during the busiest part of our flights.

Like Doug said, we don't know what happened yet. But, I'm glad the VAF readers are safety minded to help all of us remember to be careful with our loved hobby on future flights.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-22-2020 at 10:41 PM.