-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:14 PM

This TailBeaconX model has Mode S, GPS, and antennas all in the tail unit, the AV-10,20,30 may have the encoder in it as the pic shows a static connection, plus the unit is required so you can punch in the code.

On the UAT TailBeacon & other models, they are able to sense the code & what ever info from your legacy Mode C xpdr.

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 02-21-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdog42 View Post
Rob, Thanks. I know the technology inside the uAvionix devices is very good. I like the wing and tail devices, but that?s just begging me to break off a fin antenna. Yet, I?m sure I?d find a way to mitigate the risk.

I?d take you up on that over an oil filter But, we both may be done with are oil changes before we find out the winner. I know a local GA Pilot well who also works for Aireon. Over two (maybe three) years we were hangar flying & ADS-B talking. They?ve been putting 10 satellites with ADS-B / launch since the December 2106 launch, IIRC. Tracking MH370 came up. I asked, ?Will your tech be able to replace the NAT tracks (North Atlantic Tracks) and WATRS routes (West Atlantic Route System)??
His answer was it?s already been agreed to and gave a timeline to planned cancellation of those systems. Aireon was then in discussions to replace the Pacific track system as well. I think they also were talking to the Caribbean Islands, Bahamas, etc. to use their satellite surveillance system to enhance/replace what limited radar coverage currently in use. Their belief is better ATC service for less money can be done with a space based system in these areas. Knowing the person I was talking to, I?ll bet on him and his team. Very smart but humble. That?s why I think 978 will be U.S. only area. Time will tell.
What I meant when I said accommodate GA with UAT didn't mean they would use UAT exclusively. What I meant was it could be just like here in the USA where there is more airspace where you DON'T need ADS-B OUT than where you need it. They could allow for some airspace to be used by UAT.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Default TBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Ivan,

I thought it was just a rear position light and not a strobe. This might limit some folks night flying if their wing strobes aren't visible to the rear.

bob
Bob,
Yes it replaces whatever you have in the tail light position with a very bright LED white light. NOT a strobe.
Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, uAvionixX ADS-B out, Sky Radar WX and Traffic, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

RV-14A under construction.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Tailbeacon X vs DYNON SKYVIEW

As a Dynon Skyview user, I was wondering if the Tailbeacon X will work with the Skyview so I e-mailed Dynon Tech Support and here's the answer I got...not the one I wanted mind you..
-----------------------------------------
Don Jones (Dynon Avionics)

Feb 21, 12:22 PM PST

Bruno,
The tailbeacon isn't currently supported by SkyView, but engineering is looking into the possibility. We are watching the situation in Canada closely to determine
our next steps with regard to a system to meet the specs to be compatible with the SkyView.

Don Jones
Technical Support Manager
Dynon
(425) 224-6736 Support Phone
425-402-0433 Main
www.dynon.aero

Bruno Dionne

Feb 20, 7:37 PM PST

Query: Technical
Name: Bruno Dionne
Email: rv4@videotron.ca
Phone:
Subject: Compatible ADS-B OUT system

With the just release ADS-B OUT Tailbeacon X from Uavionix I will like to know if it could be compatible with the Dynon Skyview system as it is with the GRT System via a spare serial port or RS-232?

As a Canadian I'm really interested in this device as it is so far the only affordable dual diversity system on the market compatible with the upcoming Satellitte based ADS-B mandate that Canada and the rest of the world are planning to install and the US Ground base system.. Hoping Dynon comes up with a system also.

Thank you

Bruno
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM

The AV-10, 20, and 30 all have Static connections on the backside, and provide the encoder function for the transponder.

A controller can certainly be devised that would offer a different interface to the tailBeaconX. It apparently talks the standard languages for communicating with EFIS systems. SL70, STX165, UDP? I forget the exact acronyms right now but if you can tell the Skyview to talk SL70 to it it should work.

I'm looking at 3D printing a cover for the antenna fins, i'll have to test it on my hangar neighbour's unit as mine is fully enclosed already. It should be possible to cover it without attenuating the signal.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:32 AM

Are there static shedding 3d printer materials? Is this a critical consideration?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:13 AM

I'm not concerned about static buildup, but I am concerned about any colorants or dyes that may contain compounds that attenuate RF.

Given how small these units are, I would guess they are operating fairly close to the lower limit of what is necessary to meet the requirements. Unlike a Garmin or other unit that may be coupled with a number of different antennas, or wired over varying distances with varying wiring products and still be expected to work, the tailBeaconX has complete control over the antenna and wiring... So it can probably be much more tightly coupled.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:24 PM

Why could we not just keep our existing tail strobe and mount this inside the wingtip instead? That would solve the strobe issue and protect the antennae.

I already use a trig tt22 so this is academic for me for now.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZ View Post
Why could we not just keep our existing tail strobe and mount this inside the wingtip instead? That would solve the strobe issue and protect the antennae.

I already use a trig tt22 so this is academic for me for now.
If you have a strobe in the tail I'd think you also have one in the wingtips. Who knows how the energy buildup before and after each flash could affect the signal.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:54 PM

I was thinking of mounting it completely inside the wingtip, wired separately from the strobes or anything else. Use all your previous lighting as before and just place this invisibly in the wingtip. Remove the light portion if desired. The strobes would have no effect on that and the unit is protected from weather and physical damage.