- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Absolutely incredible!!!

Glad your home safe, and if I?m ever in need of inspiration this will be my go to thread.

Something to aspire too.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:55 PM

So here is the story from Iqualit / Baffin Island / Northern Canada:
The next morning there was really bad weather with low stratus, drizzle, looked like fog also. So I delayed my departure for several hours until the sh...t slowly disappeared and was only able to fly one leg that day to Kangerlussuaq in western Greenland. Kangerlussuaq has reliable forcasts and is well equipped. I got the last hotel room at the airport and could see my airplane out of the window across the runway. Only expensive wifi so no posts from there. The next morning I got up very early and went to the met office just 50 meters away from the hotel and got a very thorough weather briefing, it is seldom nowadays to actually be in the office and talk to a briefer. Several times before I was talking to her and she already kind of knew me. There were some clouds forecasted over the Ice Cap, too high to overfly and too low to make a safe emergency landing. Flying in the clouds would mean possible icing with no options. Later in the day the clouds were supposed to disappear but we could see from the satellite images that diverting a little to the north should do it. Kulusuk reported perfect weather. I decided to launch, divert to the north and may be turn back. It was again a perfect flight with no problems at all and when approaching Kulusuk on the east coast I was rewarded with the same breathtaking views like six weeks ago. I talked to Nuuk Information that I will be offline for ten minutes for sightseeing and will report back. I flew down a calving glacier, then over the broken ice which separated over the next few miles and later over the larger pieces - icebergs. It was so calm, beautiful and so pieceful that it was easy to forget about the dangers of cold water.

On the ramp in Kangerlussuaq/Greenland

Flying down a calving glacier

This is the broken ice close to the glacier

A few miles down from the broken ice

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-29-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Landing in Kulusuk on the gravel runway was easy and the Tower asked on the radio what my intention was - just need fuel / AVGAS. They are very efficient and turnaround was quick and easy. Then took off again towards Reykjavik/Iceland. Enroute the weather was rainy but Reykjavik was clear and a little windy. After landing severel TBMs approached and parked beside me, also for an overnight stop coming from Oshkosh. The next morning the whole group and me showed up at the airport and I was talking briefly to one French guy who was interested in my flight. Fast forward: Very srtrong headwinds towards Wick in Scotland and it took me over five hours to get there. In Wick the French landed at the same time and we were talking again. I had no real plan but they intended to depart to Le Touquet LFAT just over the Channel in France. He invited me to stay in his home and offered me to pick me up should I fly there. We exchanged numbers on off they went. I made a quick decision, filed a flight plan and was after them. In France you can land at the airports just like in the US after closure unlike in Germany and I arrived there at 9 pm. Olivier was awaiting me and we then went to his home where his wife was waiting for us. Next morning they both accompanied me to the airport and made passage through the airport so much easier. This RV-community is just great - thanks Olivier.

Faroer island on the flight Reykjavik to Wick

Olivier, Olivia and me in Le Touquet

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 07-29-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:39 PM

Herman and the D-EIGT got a warm welcome back in EDMG Günzburg, Germany

Last edited by mjanduda : 07-29-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 PM

Herman,
Congratulations on an AWESOME AND SAFE TRIP. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the USA.
Come back anytime!
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Default Wonderful!

Herman.....excellent adventure......thank you so much for sharing and taking us along!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM

So Malte already announced my homecoming on Monday evening. I add a few more pictures.
Approaching the field I first flew a victory roll and then landed. An improvised Follow Me guided me into position. My wife and the flying club organized a very warm welcome with coffee and food and drinks. As I am known in this part of Germany of liking strawberries I got a whole strawberry cake. The bad news about this was that others also seemed to enjoy the taste of "my" strawberry cake so I had to eat fast to get my share.

Some of you might be interested in some technical details about my trip like fuel burn, flight time and other things. The next days I will return the Skyrunner to it?s original layout and remove some temporary equipment and will then look into my datas and share some here.

Welcome Committee

The Cake

Old 07-30-2019, 05:53 PM

Herman,
It was an absolute pleasure to meet you at OSH. You are a humble soul sir.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up

Hello Herman

It was a pleasure meeting you in Oshkosh and I?m glad that your flight home went flawlessly ..

Thank you for sharing with us.

Cheers

Bruno
RV-4 C-GDBH
Old 07-31-2019, 06:20 AM

Herman, It was a pleasure meeting you and chatting during OSH. I was the 7 parked to your right just past the orange/white 8.

Glad you got home safely, it was an epic journey for the last several weeks.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.