Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 1: California to Texas and Day 2: Texas to Florida

If you are familiar with the Albuquerque area, this is the southern end of that mountain range to the east of ABQ... this is looking north:

And off the nose, eastbound.... some clouds up ahead...

And what that buildup looked like on the Ipad Mini:

And this is us keeping a healthy distance to the south of it:

By this time, having left Rosamond at 1500 CDT, the sun was setting and we flew about an hour after dark... We LOVE flying at night and have over 200 hours of logged, no-kidding-it's -real-dark-out-there night flying... here's the last pic of the first day of flying, and over-the-shoulder pic:

We landed at Brownsfield (BFE) TX just after 2100 after 2.4 hours of flying from SJN. It was easier to spend the night than travel to/from airport to town... so we just spent the night on the couch there... don't tell Tuppergal I posted this... I had the other half of the 'bed'!

On Saturday morning, April 15th, we used the crew car to get breakfast at McDonalds and I had to take a picture of this sign:

Here we are after refueling... Tuppergal always ready to go...

We were about ready to turn the key when a guy walks up to catch us... wearing a VAF hat, YEAH!!! Meet Jon Fleming!!!

And here's the picture he took of us:

We'll stay and visit a bit longer next time Jon!!!! REALLY GREAT TO MEET YOU!!!!

Last edited by Rosie : 04-15-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 2: Texas to Florida

We flew east from BFE for a short while under the overcast before we could climb up to 7.5K and here's what we saw for xx hours to Jacksonville (JSO), TX where we stopped for fuel:

Here we are under the scattered cloud deck approaching JSO... Nice lake:

Base to final at JSO:

Flight time from SJN to JSO was 2.5 hours:

I've seen lots of fun signs in the men's room at airports but this one was new to me... had to laugh!

Quick check of WX (and post to VAF) and we were off to Foley (5R4), AL for a late lunch/early dinner at LAMBERT'S!!! We departed just after 1300 CDT to see more of the same after climbing out:

We past just north of Gulfport:

We were on base to final at 5R4 after 2.9 hours of flying from BFE:

After refueling, we tied down the plane, and we got a ride to Lambert's with Mickey, a cashier there, for 10 years now!

Last edited by Rosie : 04-16-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Day 2: Texas to Florida

If you have never been to Lamberts, you HAVE to go at least ONCE in your lifetime!!!! GREAT food and GREAT fun!!!!

We departed Foley just after 1800 CDT towards Pensacola and Approach gave me direct to Gainesville (GNV) at 7.5K, thank you very much!

This is one of my favorite flights... flying eastbound just off the coast... really beautiful... the pictures don't do it justice...

Here are the last of the pictures for Saturday's flight from Foley (AL) to Gainesville (FL)

Hurlburt Field:

That's us... yes.... the Blue F-22 you see in this picture!!!!

After sunset, it was another hour to landing at Gainesville, at ~2115... 2.1 hours flight time from Foley (AL).

And, as promised, you have the pictures from the last two days of flying... and it's nearly 0200 on Sunday... and I'm glad to share these pictures with you...

One more time, for motivation, here's the flight times for this trip of two days, 12.7 Hobbs hours, flying from California to Florida in this plane we all call an RV... something some of you have built or something some of you are building in your garage... "Perseverance, more important than skill, is required to finish your RV!!!" I didn't look at my Hobbs total time but I think it's somewhere near 4250 hours now.

I can't say this enough... if you are building... keep poundin' them rivets BECAUSE IT'S ALL WORTH IT!!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited by Rosie : 04-16-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 AM

PS: I'd say the Cards and us are flying to Spruce Creek (7FL6) tomorrow for Easter Breakfast but I can't... we are flying there later on THIS morning and will be there around 0900 if you'd like to join us!!!

PSS: If there are any blatant spelling errors or something is really messed up, e-mail me so I can fix this... I've been up a long time and now going to bed... Good MORNING

Last edited by Rosie : 04-16-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM

Default Spruce Creek Delay

Rosie got to bed too late (or is that early since is was 2am?) and missed the time hack. It must be that whole sleeping in a bed thing. Spruce Creek arrival will be closer to 9:30.

Happy Easter!

Last edited by tcard : 04-16-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Default Nice Trip update

Thanks for the trip update guys and keep the pics coming.

Much of this along the coast is what we saw flying to SNF last week.

Keep on truckin!
RV-7A - N754RV: Status - Pink Slip is In! First Flight 8/23/12 - My First Flight 9/24/12!

Home from GloCustom for Paint! 3/16/13
1002 hours and climbing

8th Condition Inspection complete 10/31/2020

Superior XP IO360 (180 HP), Hartzell Blended Airfoil, AF-5400 EFIS panel, Garmin Aera 660, TruTrak Vizion 385 AutoPilot, Dual Pmags
Houston, TX

Track: SPOT
Weiser Airpark (EYQ)
http://www.rv7a-factory.com
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM

After we got over Rosie deciding to sleep in and miss the brief for breakfast, we made our way back to the airport with everyone WELL rested. Rosie promptly pulled his airplane up to the self serve pumps behind a twin with empty tanks to take on 500gal. Lead scowls at him again .

While Rosie was entertaining himself, yapping with the guy at the pumps, we marvled at how well a Bruce's canopy cleans up after a little TLC before we left home. It has only been 10yrs in use. Tanya gave it a scrub and a new application of water repellent.

We finally got airborne as a two ship as Chappy and Sharkbait elected to sleep in. We had a great breakfast at Spruce Creek after which, Rosie just couldn't resist taking his airplane apart on the ramp. I'll leave you to wander, but I'm pretty sure he swapped 3-4 alternators on the last trip... As he kicked the screws around on the ramp, I tried my best to keep an eye on which direction they went.

He did eventually get it back together as we spent the next 30min having a nice chat with the locals.

On to our jumping off point. I think everyone is on the ramp with a functional airplane! Off to dinner.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Safe travels gang. If you need anything passing back thru Florida on the West coast, let me know. Glad to help out. I wish I could have joined up but family obligations prevent it from happening.

Best,

Gman
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Forum Peruser

Default First day from Homestead

Looks like our travelers made their fuel stop at Exuma a few minutes ago, and are continuing on. I'm not sure I should ask about that 20 minute U-turn back to Homestead this morning...unless my Spot map is showing a hiccup on my monitor.

Take care, Rosie and friends.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
I'm not sure I should ask about that 20 minute U-turn back to Homestead this morning.
Probably forgot to change out his alternator this morning.