Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
I first went to Sun & Fun in 1997 with my RV4. The homebuilt area was full and each year there are fewer and fewer planes there. This year there were about 15 RVs in the homebuilt area for the first few days. We had heard that homebuilt camping was the place to be and wandered over there; another 10 to 15 planes.
I love this show, it starts the flying season for me and feels great to get a long cross country in early in the season. The vendors are fresh and willing to talk. Our friends, camping by the pond, make the whole thing worth while. Next year ask some friends to fly their planes down with you. Be proactive, make the time, do the trip, stay up late and swap stories. It is a great place to be.
I was in HBC this as well as last year. I believe the low attendance was due to the storm systems that rolled across the entire country as well as Florida. Monday morning there was a massive system that extended all the way from New Orleans to Cincinnati and on Tuesday another line blocked the route north of Lakeland.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM

First time to SunNFun as well. Was there from Wed afternoon through Saturday afternoon. As other have said, Weather early in the week was a bit of an annoyance, but improved towards the end of the week. Crowds were good, and absolutely exploded on Friday / Saturday.

Tons of booths and vendors. My feet are still recovering from all the waking around. I honestly didn't get to see everything. Spent a lot of time in the workshops learning new skills and asking dumb questions!

I did make it out to the HBC area as well as chatted up some folks in the Homebuilt parking. Already planning to go back next year with a whole new set of questions / vendors I will want to talk to.
RV10 Slow Build - #41778
Finish Kit - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF
Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civengpe View Post
I believe the low attendance was due to the storm systems that rolled across the entire country as well as Florida.
Yep, I was planning to come early in the week and "couldn't get there from here" because of that wall of weather across FL.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Sun n Fun

Hello all. We had intended to fly into SnF from Foley, Alabama on Tuesday morning but the weather held us back. Ditto for Wednesday. With clear skies and gail force gusty winds, we launched out of here Thursday afternoon. I liked our ground speeds on the way down! We were the last and I mean the LAST ones allowed to land that evening. When they say the airport closes at 7:30 they mean it. The controller said you have to be parked with the engine off by 7:30! We landed at 7:28 and they turned others away after we touched down. We were met at HBC by our host Mary Jane. I've been to SnF 3 times and she's always done a wonderful job of hosting! HBC was nearly full when we arrived. I thought I had a brake issue and the next morning they quickly fetched the emergency AC repair guys to lend me some tools and guide me with their expertise. In the end I did not have any issues, it was the winds!
The show was packed with people and the daily airshows were good. Always nice to see the blues! Although I'll say I do wish the airshow lengths were trimmed a tad. Earlier posts in this thread say the whole event seemed tired. Maybe a little. There did seem to be fewer venders. The Adventure Pilot ifly folks were there. I traded in my 720 for the 740. Whoo hoo! What a step up. A good example of a company IMPROVING their product. With my trade-in and getting another 100 off because I didn't want the ping buddy adsb it came to $599. I was having buyers remorse, (it was a spontaneous purchase). After flying home with it in the panel all that went away! The bright screen is easy readable with my sunglasses on in direct sunlight. Overall we had a great time with wonderful people.

Edited to add a video and pictures

New ifly 740 placed in the panel. It instantly linked up with Navworx to give this traffic picture sitting in HBC.

Flight Chops

Steveo1Kinevo

Any sectional you want printed on a shirt. Pretty cool.

Heading home

In line

We pretty much followed the coast line all the way home. CAVU!

A short video of our Florida coastal flight home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysscj8GBgl0
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$

Last edited by Paul 5r4 : 04-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Friday!!!!

Drove down from KAZE Thursday and stayed in a free Marriot Rewards room with a SNF 1st timer. Drove in Friday AM and in the gate by 0830. Visited with Rhonda at BPE, then off find Trio and inquire about the certified STC for my C172. It was a disappointment, but left a recently purchased head unit with them for updates. Visited with Vince at FlyBoy, Tim at Approach Systems, the Ping Buddy booth and tried to touch base with Paul Dye at KitPlanes(bought a two year subscription). Bose told me no cordless headsets in the near future . Bought a cool safety wire tool and went back to buy the Supertracks mod on the way out, but missed Vince(building closed).

Weather was windy, but perfect. In my 21 years of attendance, I thought the Friday people numbers were way up. I've flown in and drove in many times. It took longer to get out of the parking lot this year than ever before, even when it flooded or when the cars caught on fire. We arrived home around midnight Friday night, wishing I had stayed another day. What's to complain about? Every kind of over priced junk food your wife frowns upon, things you surf the web looking at now at your finger tips and ideas/info galore! It was more than fun!

RV-6 is still 36 months from first flight, but i'll continue to attend until I'm dead. Thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, vendors, participants and attendees for a great day geeking out on aviation.

IHN,

2020 Dues Paid

Robby Knox

THEM: Why do you always carry a knife?

ME: I can't open a bag of chips with my Glock!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
............. nice seeing everyone there. lots of fun........

SkyKing Bob’s 60th Birthday Party at SnF courtesy
of his lovely wife K and a few VAF Friends….

Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 04-10-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: edited pics
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Tom!

Go to the Bahamas! I met so many nice Canadian sailors in the Bahamas a few weeks ago. Now your new mission, Canadian pilots!

Best
Howard

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 04-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.