Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMe View Post
So this plane flipped over and remarkably, the vertical and rudder only got minor damage at the tip. I could in theory salvage/fix the vertical I have.

Instead I opted to replace it. The trouble is that nobody has the non-counter weighted tail anymore. I've looked and looked _AND_ I tried to order parts from Vans to repair the one I have... I got the bigger RV-8 parts. So now I'm at a loss, I can easily get the raw stock and rebuild the tail I have using the plans with the airplane or try to make the bigger RV-8 tail fit.

btw, I too want the smaller tail, cause it works, looks right and fits.

Any advice?
Could still build one from plans? I'm pretty sure the -6 plans have all the dimensions and such that you'd need. You'd need access to a brake I think but beyond that it seems pretty straightforward, if labor intensive.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Lots of -7s flying with the larger tail and light weight, FP, prop but most install a weighted prop plate from Saber to help keep CG where they want it and allow sufficient baggage.

I plan to install either the 15 or 20 lb plate, as needed.
Mine has it already with the smaller vertical

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 09-14-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
Could still build one from plans? I'm pretty sure the -6 plans have all the dimensions and such that you'd need. You'd need access to a brake I think but beyond that it seems pretty straightforward, if labor intensive.
I can make a brake in 20 minutes with a 2x4 and few spare door hinges. That's easy. I think I'll head to airparts and get some aluminum.

Also the shop I'm using has a nice 4' bender/brake for the spar.

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

Last edited by BruceMe : 09-14-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Van's still sells all the parts for the -6 tail, they just don't advertise a tail kit. You can still find the parts on the list.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:19 PM

It's the newer style, not the older non-counter ballanced. I tried.

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Default I have original -6A VS only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMe View Post
...(snipped) The trouble is that nobody has the non-counter weighted tail anymore. I've looked and looked _AND_ I tried to order parts from Vans to repair the one I have... I got the bigger RV-8 parts. So now I'm at a loss, I can easily get the raw stock and rebuild the tail I have using the plans with the airplane or try to make the bigger RV-8 tail fit.

btw, I too want the smaller tail, cause it works, looks right and fits.
I replaced the 'classic tail' (i.e. "small") with the -8 VS/Rudder set because the rudder was not included in the project kit (RV-6A QB). Building the original rudder required a bunch of line items, and the -8 VS/Rudder set was a single line item. Convenience order ...

Part of the aft weight penalty is the counter balance lead wt, think it's 20 oz. Another factor is the 0.020 skin on the rudder, and also the size increase.

With the O-360 and FP Sensenich prop the tail wt is a consideration but baggage wt is not the main concern - the Vans recommended gross with two occupants is 1650 lbs and so a couple of "me" (235) and some fuel is already there. [Yes, I've seen POH's with 1800 and even 2000 lbs gross limits.]

Yes, I still have the classic VS in the attic ... and it's QB (factory built). If anyone is interested. You'll still need a 'classic, non-counter balanced rudder'.
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc
Old 09-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViter View Post
With the O-360 and FP Sensenich prop the tail wt is a consideration but baggage wt is not the main concern - the Vans recommended gross with two occupants is 1650 lbs and so a couple of "me" (235) and some fuel is already there. [Yes, I've seen POH's with 1800 and even 2000 lbs gross limits.]
I agree that with two 235 lb'ers in the seats the impact of the heavier tail doesn't matter.
With a couple of 170 lb'ers in the seats the impact on baggage capability is the major concern.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM

Default Should have written more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I agree that with two 235 lb'ers in the seats the impact of the heavier tail doesn't matter.
With a couple of 170 lb'ers in the seats the impact on baggage capability is the major concern.
With my two 235 pounders there is no weight in the baggage area, worth mentioning. It's all occupants and fuel, to the max gross wt. Scott - will PM you a couple of W&B questions especially on Loading/Unloading & Planing/De-Planing sequences. Or new thread.
thanks
VP-X Sport, Dynon SkyView, VFR day
(FFZ) Mesa, AZ - N234GB -
www.mykitlog.com/garyc
Old 09-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RViter View Post

Yes, I still have the classic VS in the attic ... and it's QB (factory built). If anyone is interested. You'll still need a 'classic, non-counter balanced rudder'.
I think I would take advantage of this offer if I was looking to rebuild the older tail.

I built my -6 with the -8 tail and never looked back. Flies great and is pretty fast for a O-360 with a fixed pitch Sensenich.

Just my opinion.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Default 6 with 7 tail

I built my 6 with the 7 tail, because that is what was available to me at the time ( Time is money & worth more)

Completed - RV6
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/