-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 PM

if your testing the waters camping don't invest a lot of money until you know you like it. I recommend the following for the basics.

A basic walmart level tent 4-6 people.

A couple of Harbor Freight blue tarps, 7X9. One you use as a footprint to set your tent on to keep ground moisture out. The other for an extra rain fly since budget tents may not keep you dry in heavy rains, but the tarp will.

Comfortable sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees.

This is critical. What your sleeping on will be a deal breaker when it comes to getting the better half camping. Either a good quality inflatable bed, or a high quality backpack pad. If you go with a backpack sleeping pad I would recommend a Big Agnes Q Core pad. Not cheap but worth all the money it cost. We have backpacked for years out of our plane and all over the country, and that pad is awsome. Also bought a D battery inflator for float toys and made a simple mod to inflate the pads. Too lazy to blow them up.

A Jet Boil, heats water up for coffee, oatmeal etc. compact and quick.
If you drink coffee, Starbucks Vida instant coffee. Best friend in the morning.

Wine or you favorite beverage if you happen to drink.

Folding chairs, etc, and a collapsible ice chest. Keeps things cold when using it, folds up when your not.

What ever else you hink you need, but try not to over pack.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Stoney,

Best inexpensive tent I've ever had, by a big margin:

https://kelty.com/acadia-4/

Bone dry through a lot of big t-storms, big enough for two adults with double-size mattresses, doors on both ends, covered "outdoor" vestibules at both ends. I do use a 4-mil plastic sheet under it.

Really don't need to bring food to TT or PJ. Snacks maybe. Beer for sure. And folding chairs.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 PM

If you think that you will extend your camping adventures further north or to higher elevations get a warmer sleeping bag to start. They are too expensive to be having to upgrade.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Great information!

I too love to camp but now with the 7 instead of the 172 my camping gear selection will need to be lighter and compact. A dry tent is important for sure, but to me a comfortable bed is paramount. I've always packed on of those folding army type cots (heavy). Very comfortable and off the ground. How does the sleeping pads compare? Pros/cons? I have seen some tiny campsites at the fly-ins and have always wondered how they manage for the duration! I am also impressed with the "new" camping chairs that I saw at OSH. Alum poles and a sling type seat. Very compact and comfy but pricey...
XP IO360
Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
A Jet Boil, heats water up for coffee, oatmeal etc. compact and quick.
If you drink coffee, Starbucks Vida instant coffee. Best friend in the morning.

Wine or you favorite beverage if you happen to drink.

Folding chairs, etc, and a collapsible ice chest. Keeps things cold when using it, folds up when your not.
O.K. this is good. I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning, so that's a given. There are a bunch of different kinds of JetBoil, do you have a recommendation? I have informed my wife she is down to 2 pairs of shoes verse the normal 20.
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I too love to camp but now with the 7 instead of the 172 my camping gear selection will need to be lighter and compact. A dry tent is important for sure, but to me a comfortable bed is paramount. I've always packed on of those folding army type cots (heavy). Very comfortable and off the ground. How does the sleeping pads compare? Pros/cons? I have seen some tiny campsites at the fly-ins and have always wondered how they manage for the duration! I am also impressed with the "new" camping chairs that I saw at OSH. Alum poles and a sling type seat. Very compact and comfy but pricey...
The problem with cots and thick air mattresses is that they are cold...
Seriously - if the temps get into the 50ies you WILL BE UNCOMFORTABLE. Some people take care of the cold issue by putting Thermorest type pads on top cots and air mattress but for me that's a bit of overkill.

Chairs and a tarp for shade are a good idea also.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
A bag rated to 0 deg will keep you alive to 0 deg not necessarily comfortable. Get a water proof cover for it.
Tom
Do you mean a waterproof storage bag? Don't try to sleep with your bag under a waterproof cover, you'll end up in a pool of sweat, although it will be warm sweat. This is one place where GoreTex does work.

I agree with the idea that you should try stuff out in the backyard, to be sure it's okay with the significant other. Just remember it gets a lot colder at night in some places (like the mountains) than it does in many backyards.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Do you mean a waterproof storage bag? Don't try to sleep with your bag under a waterproof cover, you'll end up in a pool of sweat, although it will be warm sweat. This is one place where GoreTex does work.

I agree with the idea that you should try stuff out in the backyard, to be sure it's okay with the significant other. Just remember it gets a lot colder at night in some places (like the mountains) than it does in many backyards.
No no - I meant a waterproof storage bag
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM

I personally use the backpacking, lightweight but expensive camping gear but I like to camp in my RV-6. What could be better than sleeping with your airplane.

You WILL find the ideal tent when you see it. The Kelty line suggested by Dan is very good.

However, AS TOGAFLYER SUGGESTS…….the most important item in your plane is a comfortable pad to put a sleeping bag on. Especially for our spouses. I have 6 high tech pads including several Thermorest pads from cheaper ones to really expensive ones.

However………..

THE ONLY ITEM I REFUSE TO LEAVE BEHIND IS MY REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad.
(Doesn’t need you to inflate it except for a few breaths after it does it’s thing)(A little bulky but very light)

NOT CHEAP but you will thank me later. They will be 25% off starting August 26th:

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/r...g-sleeping-pad

A great nights sleep cannot be over estimated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
………………..This is critical. What your sleeping on will be a deal breaker when it comes to getting the better half camping. Either a good quality inflatable bed, or a high quality backpack pad. If you go with a backpack sleeping pad I would recommend a Big Agnes Q Core pad. Not cheap but worth all the money it cost. We have backpacked for years out of our plane and all over the country, and that pad is awsome. Also bought a D battery inflator for float toys and made a simple mod to inflate the pads. Too lazy to blow them up.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family

Last edited by GLPalinkas : 08-24-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: extra info added
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 PM

Another thumbs up for a Kelty tent, I bought a 4 man (perfect for 2 and gear) backing tent on clearance for about $200 with the included footprint. I really like the 2 vestibules for outside storage and 2 doors and it weighs less than 10 lbs.

The best thing I've ever bought for camping was a Thermarest pad, lots of different ones but I chose what they call the "base camp" pad. To big and comfy to actually backpack but is perfect for airplane camping. It semi self inflates, packs down into a 4-5 inch roll and i prefer it over an air mattress for comfort. I've had several cheaper $30-50 camping pads that were not comfortable and only lasted a few trips, my Thermarest pad has seen over 100 nights of use and is still like new.

The wife bought me some super cool Helinox collapsible backpacking chairs for Christmas, not sure I could've spent the $$ on them but I don't go airplane camping without them now.

I'm still searching for the perfect airplane cooler....