What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Brake pedals

Why can I only find one set. Even the plans say make 4 F-6117C angles which would be for two pedals.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I assume you mean brake pedals, not rudder pedals.
To get right side brakes you need to buy the optional kit. Otherwise the right side rudder is via the WD-655 weldment bar.

The only thought I have is, the co-pilot side is optional. IOW...if you want brake pedals for the passenger, they need to be purchased as an option and pay an added amount of $$ if you want them on your aircraft.

I would bet that 90% of passenger brakes are never used. They add parts to the system to maintain, and add weight. If you HAVE a need, then install them.

Why can I only find one set. Even the plans say make 4 F-6117C angles which would be for two pedals.

Am I missing something?

If you ordered the dual brake kit with your Fuselage Kit then it should be there. If you didn't, and want dual brakes, you will need the kit. The plans are drawn for one set of brake pedals and if you want two sets, you just do it twice.

This is the option you needed to check when you planned your order...
brake option.JPG

Don’t know if I have a need. I suppose even if someone in the right seat was flying I could take control on the runway for breaking if needed. I have just never seen an airplane with only one set of brakes before.

Don’t know if I have a need. I suppose even if someone in the right seat was flying I could take control on the runway for breaking if needed. I have just never seen an airplane with only one set of brakes before.

Almost every airplane at my flight school (Piper Cherokees) have only one set of brakes. One doesn't have any pedal brakes at all (just the hand brake). I guess, since all of them have hand brakes, it is less of an issue, as a person in the right seat can always grab it.

Re rudder pedals, jfyi, Paul at Control Approach has aftermarket pedals for RV-7. He doesn't make the "retrofit" anymore, it seems, but makes a similar system (note -- my understanding -- don't have them yet) to the RV-10 pedals he has. I ordered them last week, so I haven't got them yet, cannot give any feedback. You would need all four master cylinders, though (the second set of cylinders comes with the optional brake kit).

Almost every airplane at my flight school (Piper Cherokees) have only one set of brakes. One doesn't have any pedal brakes at all (just the hand brake). I guess, since all of them have hand brakes, it is less of an issue, as a person in the right seat can always grab it.

The hand brake on the Cherokees require you to push a lock button down with your thumb to hold the brakes in park mode. They did that to make it a simple pull for applying the brake for stopping or slowing down. This works good with a steerable nosewheel and any untrained person can operate it. An untrained passenger in an RV would have a problem using the brakes. Better to install a hand brake for passenger.... it will apply pressure evenly with no directional control. Requires only one master cyl. Now this should be an option, but easy to make at home.

Back