What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000 problem

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I just replaced the battery/chip on my old black and white VM1000 with a new part from DigiKey. Did it once before about 6 years ago and decided to do it again before putting the ship on the market. EDIT Was working before the battery change.

This time it did not work. The screen comes on at the everything lit stage and then never starts running everything stays lit. Tried turning on with buttons 1-3-5 held down and with 3 down. Nothing seems to help.

Have heard that sometimes the new chips don't work for some reason. Any other ideas before I order a couple more?

Last edited:
Bruce,

Most common problem with owner serviced VM1000 units is wiring problems upon reinstallation. Before ordering a new chip, I would recommend a complete check of your terminal connections, especially the power and ground connections both DPU side and ship side. If you have a serial connector type DPU, then this is a much less likely scenario.

You can also troubleshoot by reinstalling the known good chip to see if the DPU will boot.

In the 100s of NVRAM modules I have replaced for VMS DPU owners over the years, I have found 2 that were actually bad from the manufacturer. So the likelihood is small but possible to get a 'bad' chip.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

All the best,
Reggie
http://vmsupport.weebly.com/

Back