What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clear up my confusion about IPad for aviation

kclark7623

I'm New Here
I really want to go to an IPad Mini for navigation but am totally confused as to what exactly I will need.
It seems the 32gb will do me fine and believe it will need an external GPS to be more efficient.
1. Get one with internal GPS also or not?
2. What software will I need to get weather, terrain, and charts?
3. Is there a subscription fee involved with some weather software or is it all covered in the external GPS purchase?
4. What nav software seems to work best with these units.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Please respond to [email protected] if you like.

It seems the sky is the limit.

Only IPADs that are capable to talk to a cell tower (3g, 4g, etc.) have internal GPS and you don?t have to have a data subscription for it to work. However, for the same amount of money you can get an external GPS that will be more accurate but it is external hence less convenient.
There are a host of applications, Foreflight, Wing X, etc. that will give you all you need. Some are more popular than others and some are more flexible than others.
For the Weather, if you need it in the sky while flying, you will need a source (XM weather or ADS-B) but on the ground while connected to the internet, most pull a very comprehensive weather information.
I have used Foreflight for a few years and very happy with it but now switching to Wing X pro as it supports more ADS-B receiver and it is a very capable app, perhaps even more than Foreflight. There are many youtube tutorial that you can search for and see which one you like more.

Hope this helps

I use my iPad all day at work, and one thing to consider is screen glare. It's almost impossible for me to see the screen when I'm outside. If they make some kind of glare shield then it may be ok.

I use "Foreflight" on my iPad and love it...great program. Just to reiterate a few points: You must buy the cell network capable version of the iPad in order to have the integrated GPS, but there is no need to sign up with any carrier. The GPS in my iPad works as well as the panel mounted GPS in my aircraft...they always agree to the knot. I have a knee strap that holds my full size iPad on my knee in my RV-8...it's a little tight but not overly so. The iPad app is free, but there is an annual subscription; I think it's $175 a year. That gets you the whole US with current VFR sectionals and all IFR charts and plates updated over the internet.

I have not had difficulty seeing the screen in full daylight but your mileage may vary. I have heard reports of the iPad shutting off when it gets too hot, but that has not happened to me.

Mark

I really want to go to an IPad Mini for navigation but am totally confused as to what exactly I will need.
It seems the 32gb will do me fine and believe it will need an external GPS to be more efficient.
External or internal GPS seems to be of marginal consequence to performance.

1. Get one with internal GPS also or not? An iPad with internal GPS will cost more up front. An external GPS will require more management on your part after the purchase.
2. What software will I need to get weather, terrain, and charts? WingX, Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, etc. are apps you can load onto the iPad. There are also many websites that have much of that same information that you will be able to view as long as you have an internet connection.
3. Is there a subscription fee involved with some weather software or is it all covered in the external GPS purchase? Yes, some weather apps will require a fee, some will not. None will be covered with any GPS purchase. The weather apps rely on the GPS data to provide a location for the iPad but can and do run independently of the GPS hardware or its data.
4. What nav software seems to work best with these units. Well, what brand of car works best for you? The same principle will apply to which nav software will work best for your needs.

As was stated above, the screen glare is an important issue to think about when using these devices. There is considerable glare and I have yet to see an iPad that had any screen cover that did anything more than a marginal job at best of cutting down the glare. Having said that the Apple release notes concerning the new iPad Air states they have incorporated a brighter screen on the new iPad Air. If so, this may make for better viewing in bright conditions. I will believe that when I see it though.

Last edited:
I use the basic Foreflight subscription for my iPad mini which is $75 per year.

The internal GPS in my Mini works flawlessly. No need for an external in my case. I have the 32GB, LTE (cell version).

Apple does not install the internal GPS in the WiFi only iPads. It only comes with the LTE, 4G (cell) version. This has nothing to do with cell towers and subscriptions. This is just marketing on the part of Apple. The internal GPS works without having to be connected to the internet by any means. It is totally stand alone.

You can choose to selectively pay for the cell service. You can turn it on and off monthly without any signup fees. That's what I do. If I go on a long trip, either via RV or car, and want cell service, I'll sign up for it but I let it lapse for the next month. This will give you the ability to access the internet when there is no WiFi. Once again, you don't need to subscribe to use the internal GPS.

I have a Verizon model and the cheapest plan is $20 a month for I think a GIG of data. If you do decide to subscribe for a month the default is to have it automatically re-up every month after that. If you don't want that, you have to go back into the settings and cancel. This will cancel this auto subscribe.

I have tried Foreflight and AOPA. Both are fine but I do like Foreflight better. I think they both have a free trial.

There is a FREE app out there called Pilot Charts. I think it's done by a fellow RVer. You can download any chart locally to your iPad and it will also track you on the map and has a dashboard for GS, Alt, etc. That's all it does. You cannot get weather briefings or file Flight Plans through it but it is perfectly fine for basic flying.

As far as glare, yep, you have glass and it reflects. I do have an anti glare screen which seems to keep it under control.

I love my iPad Mini in flight and use it as my primary chart reference when flying. My Bendix AV8OR GPS simply drives my autopilot these days.

I hope this helps.

I have ForeFlight and a Stratus 1, which provides both GPS and ADSB weather.
FF only costs $75/year unless you want the geo-referenced approach plates, plus a few other features (which I don't have, so I don't miss them :rolleyes:)
There is no charge for the ADSB weather.
FF is the original killer app for aviation. As noted by others, there are a number of other apps, and they all have similar capabilities, and 'rampant feature-itis'. They are all constantly being updated.
The only way to choose is to try each one (they all have a free trial period), and then pick the one you like. Then get the ADSB unit that is supported by your choice.

If you want weather, you will have an external device with GPS, so you can save a few bucks on the iPad by not getting the internal one (your choice).

The screen does have glare, but I find it easy to mitigate by repositioning the unit. I don't have a mount, which makes that easier.

As others have noted, there is little cost difference between an iPad with GPS, or an iPad without GPS + an external Bluetooth GPS.

I much prefer an external Bluetooth GPS, as it gives some additional capability (if you chose the correct models):

1. Some newer Bluetooth GPSs can send position data to multiple iPads, iPhones, etc. This saves money if you have multiple devices.
  2. I use external GPS to automatically record a log of position. Later, I can download this position log to my computer and run a program to add GPS position to any pictures I take. This avoids the problem years later of looking at a picture and no longer remembering exactly where it was taken.

I?m currently using the Bad Elf Pro Bluetooth GPS. It will feed position to up to five devices, and can be configured to automatically record a track log any time it is running. They claim a 12 hour battery life, but mine goes for much longer than that. They typically sell for $150.

Just to add to the options/confusion: It looks like Bad Elf has announced a plug-in GPS module with the lightning connector that is used on the iPad Mini. According to their website it will ship by Nov 5th.

T-Mobile will also start selling iPads in November with 200mb/month of free data.

I have an iPad mini without GPS that I use with WingX. When I want/need weather, I hook up the Skyradar unit I have, which adds GPS and ADSB-in capability. Very nice to have when you need it.

I also have an iPhone 5 with WingX loaded. The iPhone has a built in GPS and I use the phone much more than I use the iPad. Why? It is easier to read the display and it is much more cockpit friendly due the size. In unfamiliar territory, I use the mini more, because the bigger screen is helpful.

BTW, I really like WingX, but I'm sure the other products are excellent as well.

No shortcuts here.

To put it simply, buy the most expensive iPad you can, get the full blown Foreflight subscription for $150/year and if you want ADSB get a Stratus. Then you'll be happy.

Last edited:
Great Info!!! Not sure if I am educated enough to make the decision yet but definitely have more input to go on. Thanks to all for the advice.

To put it simply, buy the most expensive iPad you can, get the full blown Foreflight subscription for $150/year and if you want ADSB get a GDL39. Then you'll be happy.
Not sure he would be completely happy with this as the GDL39 will not communicate with Foreflight. It will only work with the Garmin Pilot app. Foreflight is currently only supporting the Stratus ADS-B.

Xavion

You might want to have a look at Xavion. It runs without flaw on a 4G mini. You can find demo videos on you tube. I have not bothered with any external devices of any kind, and not needed them. If mounted in a panel orientation, it will provide synthetic vision, GPS and inertial flight data, and nav to selected waypoints at chosen altitudes. It does not do well nor is it intended to be used as a kneeboard.

When you get your ipad, if you intend to only fly VFR, try the 30 day free trial of each software application before buying. The free trials will give you a good indication of what works for you. For example, screen glare and screen brightness were not much of an issue when using Jeppesen's mobile flight deck VFR product because the displayed charts are not .pdf images of government charts, they were very nice bright data driven charts... and that included geo-referencing. i currently use foreflight because i need VFR and IFR charting. If i were to only need VFR, the Jeppesen product would be my software of choice @ $49/year.

Because of the great chart image and brightness, I am currently considering purchasing the Jeppesen product to use for VFR in addition to having foreflight on my ipad...

Good luck with your choice.

Victor

I use ForeFlight with my 4G iPad. I have a minimal Verizon data plan for my iPhone and Verizon charges extra if I want to enable the iPad for cellular service. I could pay $20 more to get both on my plan but would get only 1 GB of data vs the 2 GB I have now. I don't find it worth the expense.

I have ForeFlight on my iPhone and I use that to get in-flight updates or when I am on the ground without wifi. I have considered getting a Karma wifi hotspot that costs about $15 per GB with no contract and pay as you go.

For example, screen glare and screen brightness were not much of an issue when using Jeppesen's mobile flight deck VFR product because the displayed charts are not .pdf images of government charts, they were very nice bright data driven charts... and that included geo-referencing. i currently use foreflight because i need VFR and IFR charting. If i were to only need VFR, the Jeppesen product would be my software of choice @ $49/year.

Because of the great chart image and brightness, I am currently considering purchasing the Jeppesen product to use for VFR in addition to having foreflight on my ipad...

Good luck with your choice.

Victor

Hmmmmm, Good to know Victor. I'm a strict VFRer (is that a word?). Going to give your suggestion a try. Have foreflight, but enjoy experimenting with all this great stuff. Thank you!! :)

FltPlan w/ IPad

I use an IPad 2 (16 GB, WiFi only) with an external GNS 5870 MFI (bluetooth GPS unit). It works great with all of the popular EFB applications. I use it with the FltPlan app which has moving map, approach plates, etc ... best of all it is free, everything is free maps/approach plates/etc. Just completed a 1000 mile trip ea way and it worked flawlessly and provides outstanding situational awareness.

I have the cheapest iPad Mini you can get (16G and wifi only). I bought a Dual Universal XGPS150 for $99 from Aircraft Spruce. It uses Bluetooth. It is so good, that it can find a position in a closed room with no windows (I've seen it!).
I installed ForeFlight Pro and 16G is more than adequate for complete coverage of the Eastern Half of the US. You can dump and install as your need changes. My wife runs the whole thing from the right seat of our RV-10. There is no glare problem and she can follow the flight easily (the 10's top is probably the plus on the no glare issue). A full battery charge on the Mini and the Dual is good for two legs (Georgia to New Jersey), but she has the necessary charging cables if necessary. I have traffic on my GRT HX, so I didn't get the Stratus.
In short, the Mini is a great size, and ForeFlight Pro is a great choice.
John

Back