What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long can raw carbon fiber/fiberglass withstand the elements?

RVFan671

Well Known Member
Live in Seattle where we have more rain than sun. Wondering if my newly formed fiberglass (bottom ply) and carbon fiber empanage gap fairing (west systems epoxy) can withstand the elements for a month or two outside on the ramp. I tie down and wanted to wait til we have a week or so of nice weather (and i have the free time) to pull it off, fill pin holes and get the final smooth shaping with fairing filler and sanding.

Also wondering if once I get the west systems fairing filler added and sanded, could it hang out on the ramp again a bit until I can prime and paint?

I would recommend you at least spray a coat of rattle can primer on it. UV is very damaging, very fast. Most cheap rattle can primers will wash off quickly with acetone, then you can do the cosmetic finish work.

At the very least, maybe cover it with masking tape or duck tape. Might be harder to get off and clean up.

Primer

Agree. Rattle can if you want to wipe it off.
I would spray with epoxy primer and plan on sanding it. I don't like paint removing no matter how easy.

Make sure the primer will actually provide UV protection for the substrate it is sprayed on... They all do not...
You will notice the damage as it is happening. The resin will deteriorate first.

Brad

Just about every 2K primer, unless sprayed too thin will protect the covered material from UV rays. The issues is that most primers do not have UV inhibitors, like the top coat materials have, and therefore the primer itself will break down and fail from the UV exposure. However, this takes several years, not months.

Back