What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When is a Phillips, not a Phillips..... ?

Thanks for the eye opener of how a screw became a screw so we can screw them up.
Who knew a screw could be so screwed up with the wrong screw bit.
Thanks again Art

There is way too much info there! I was really interested until I got to the square - phillips and saw I was only half way done!!

It does make me more aware of making sure I have the correct tip or screw driver.

I recall helping a friend do some work on his RV (which he had recently bought), and he was having a booger of a time with some screws.

Because they were Pozidriv, not Phillips. Once I gave him the right driver bit, no more problems (but I recommended he replace them with Phillips, like all the other screws on the plane...WHY someone used Pozidrivs for this one particular assembly was a mystery).

The right tools for the right job make all the difference... :)

Step 10 in the article references JIS screws - Japanese Industry Standard.

There was a post on this site a year or so ago that JIS bits tended to fit AN507, 509, etc screws much better than Phillips #2, both in hand tools and power tools.

I bought a bunch of JIS tips on Amazon and my screw head strip rate decreased about 90%.

Last time I checked, a pair of genuine JIS heads is about $5.

Last edited:
Why the pozi drives..or torx, or tri-wings?

So as builders, we all have options and choices in hardware. After 42 years in the heavy jet business, I've seen as many fastener types. Some are great, some are horrible. Building my RV-4, I used all reduced head titanium phillips head screws...the next owner (if there ever is one) will get a goody bag of spares, otherwise, he will post on here what the &^%$ kind are these. In day job we used a lot of Tri-wing and Quad-wing (offset Phillips), as well as Hi-torque Coin slots, and weird one off type fasteners not well known to the free world. Certain individuals in the industry , have easy access to procure such unique fasteners, and some are more durable than a standard Phillips head..as long as you have the correct bits. The Airbus products carry a lot of the Quad-wing offset Phillips..just saying, maybe the builder was an Airbus guy.

So as builders, we all have options and choices in hardware. After 42 years in the heavy jet business, I've seen as many fastener types. Some are great, some are horrible. Building my RV-4, I used all reduced head titanium phillips head screws...the next owner (if there ever is one) will get a goody bag of spares, otherwise, he will post on here what the &^%$ kind are these. In day job we used a lot of Tri-wing and Quad-wing (offset Phillips), as well as Hi-torque Coin slots, and weird one off type fasteners not well known to the free world. Certain individuals in the industry , have easy access to procure such unique fasteners, and some are more durable than a standard Phillips head..as long as you have the correct bits. The Airbus products carry a lot of the Quad-wing offset Phillips..just saying, maybe the builder was an Airbus guy.

Without getting into details...uh, no.

Poszidrivs

Big fan of these!

After learning the hard way with classic British metal I came to love that drive shape if the look is a cross. The grab just feels right.

It came via a UK forum and I was so nerdy that I read the lot !!!

I have bags of Hi Lok fittings if anyone wants them - they were being chucked out at a local repair shop - can't see good fasteners go to waste !

I hate anything that resembles Phillips fasteners. Why do we still torture ourselves with that terrible design when something like Torx is so prevelant elsewhere?

I hate anything that resembles Phillips fasteners. Why do we still torture ourselves with that terrible design when something like Torx is so prevelant elsewhere?

I use standard MS hardware because could not find torx in 230ksi, cad plated, 100 deg CS screws in #4 #6 and #8?

Have a source?

Back