What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Fuselage QB Order Mod's

Mohammed

Patron
Hi,

I am about to place my order for the RV8 fuselage Quick Build kit while working on my slow Standard Build wing kit.

Any Don't & Do's? Anything I need to add, delete or modify in my order?

All suggestions are appreciated

Regards

I also ordered the one piece gear from skydesigns. I attempted to drill the vans style gear brackets and after struggling for hours I decided to pull the trigger on what I have been debating for the past few months...

Thanks, Gary, for your kind words but I have to clarify that it is actually Susan who is great to deal with...I'm the engineer and everyone knows how difficult dealing with engineers can be!:eek:

The Sky Designs legs are, IMHO, a bit prettier than what Grove used to offer...here's a photo of a set I just polished and the reflection nicely shows-off the shapely design.polished legs-1.jpg

We now offer a jack-point to go in our 6.00-6 Carbon Fiber Wheel Fairing kit. The inspiration for this came from one of our customers - Chuck Brietigam. It was developed to work with RV-8 but it will also fit the RV-12, and RV-14A and works with the standard Van's fairings or with Sky Designs. The only modification required is drilling of a .875 diameter hole in the center of the inboard fairing bracket.

Price is $49.99 (plus shipping) and includes two bracket mounts - the red anodized part you see in the photos - and a Grade 8 bolt and nut that you thread into the boss in the bracket mount to work with a floor jack. Use the contact form on our website if you'd like to order.
front iso-with bracket.jpg

front iso-with bracket and bolt.JPG

front iso-no bracket.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Gary, for your kind words but I have to clarify that it is actually Susan who is great to deal with...I'm the engineer and everyone knows how difficult dealing with engineers can be!:eek:

The Sky Designs legs are, IMHO, a bit prettier than what Grove used to offer...here's a photo of a set I just polished and the reflection nicely shows-off the shapely design.View attachment 11990

I can attest to that. She had responded to my email promptly with very detailed answers, I almost bought one just to be nice back :)

Now I just have to convince the house boss that the ~$1,000 difference is justified or I hide it somehow :rolleyes:

Look into the tailwheel assembly as well. Flyboys Accessories has some very nice options for the tailwheel. If you do delete the Van's tailwheel assembly, don't forget to re-add the tail spring mount and the tail spring. (not that I learned the hard way or anything :D)

Look into the tailwheel assembly as well. Flyboys Accessories has some very nice options for the tailwheel. If you do delete the Van's tailwheel assembly, don't forget to re-add the tail spring mount and the tail spring. (not that I learned the hard way or anything :D)

I had a conversation with Blake and I think I will go with their TW fork and wheel. Good advice.

No body said anything about anything about throttle quadrants. Aren't they part of the fuse kit?

I checked the Vans Deluxe version but they look similar to the ones at Flyboy Accessories and Aircraft Spruce albeit they are cheaper than Van's. Are they drop in replacement or their is more work involved?

I remember Fatboy's was good but their site seems to be down

Back