What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing cowl with 3 blade prop RV9A

David Lowe

I was thinking about using a 3 blade ground adjustable Sensenich prop on my RV9A.

With the new style nose gear is getting the lower cowl off any easier than it was in the past ?

If it is a hassle I will go with a two blade, there is no way I am removing the prop to get the cowl off !

I do note that the prop diameters are:

2 blade Sensenich 72" (carbon fibre)
2 blade Sensenich 70" (metal)
3 blade Sensenich 68" (carbon fibre)

Thanks

You learn pretty quick how to get it off. It is easy if you dont care about the paint! Ha! Blankets help and making the cut out in the bottom a bit bigger does make a big difference - even if you want to put a removable cover plate over it.

I have covers I made for my lower 2 prop blades, no paint yet and longer than normal slot and its doable by myself, and rather easy with 2 people.

Once painted I will probably make a cover for nose wheel fairing for the times I need to do it solo.

Cowl removal

Anti Aerosplat makes a nose gear fairing that snaps over your nose gear leg to protect the finish. Many folks will put masking tape around the spinner area also

I use the Sensenich 3 blade composite prop on my 9A. I ended up making the end of the snorkel removable as well as lengthening the cut for the nose gear. These changes have made it possible for me to remove and replace the lower cowl without help and not scraping paint.

Towels and calm wind.

The piano hinges are really sharp, so I put towels everywhere and I protect my 3-blade prop. I also don't take any cowlings off if it's even slightly windy.

Back