What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 as altitude encoder

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Can the G5 be used as an altitude encoder for a Mode C/S transponder? Ok, I know it can technically, but I mean legally. My understanding is that the encoder needs to be TSO'd, and the G5 is not.

I have been using the G5 as my altitude encoder for ADS-B out for over two (2) years. The two G5s in my airplane passed my 91.411 and 91.413 tests with only needing a simple calibration.

same as Gary here... the PFD of my dual G5 install feeds alt to the GNX375. Works perfect :)

I like using the G5 as an altitude encoder when possible. It only makes sense in that it not only is a digital source, it also reads your altitude at all times in flight. Plus there is no added cost, weight or plumbing for a stand-alone encoder. That being said I had a G5 go haywire with about 20 hours since new and it started running the altitude from below sea level to 30k+ feet and all points in between randomly in a matter of seconds. The bird was departing the LA Basin and So. Cal approach got all in a tizzy with the altitudes being reported. Got the notice in the mail from the FAA ADS-B team and I had to write a letter stating I swapped out the air data computer with a loaner G5 and promised not to ever let it happen again if I could help it, I guess. I have never had a lick of trouble before or since with a G5.

Like I said, I know it CAN do it. Just wondering if it was legal. I know certain things still require a TSO (IFR navigators for instance) and I thought transponders and encoders was one of them.

Like I said, I know it CAN do it. Just wondering if it was legal. I know certain things still require a TSO (IFR navigators for instance) and I thought transponders and encoders was one of them.

When my RV-6 first flew, I use a Rocky Mountain Instruments microEncoder as my encoder. This was something that I purchased as a KIT and built myself. It was designed to meet the TSO and as such passed the 91.411 and 91.413 requirement every other year when my transponder was tested.

Back