What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seats for the -3

dwaynebob

Any gouge on a seat for the -3? Anyone get Oregon aero? Seems you can get the seat from a -4, the bottom from the front seat and the back from the rear seat. I'm tall so I have to keep it as low as possible.

Paul Dye got an Oregon Aero seat and reported that he liked it. I think his uses an electric flap, so if you have manual flaps that could make a fitment difference.

Dave

We love our Oregon Aero seat for the -3, but be aware it isn’t light either. Doesn;t make a difference for us with our constant speed prop - the airplane goes like a scalded feline, both horizontally and vertically. We had to send the bare foam back twice before covering for them to get it right - they did have a cut-out for a manual flap lever initially, but I think it might have been on the wrong side. We had them remove that, and open up the stick space a little, and then cover it - still the most comfortable seat we have in any of the planes.

Ours was made over a decade ago now, so who knows if they still have the pattern...call and ask!

Paul

I also used Oregon Areo and had the same experience as Paul. Very good.
There are two things I would do different.
I would make the half barrel bottom of the seat a separate piece to fill in that part of the floor and have a separate piece as the actual seat. It would be easier to adjust or change seat depth that way. Additionally, it would be easier to slide the seat forward to lean the seat back forward to get in to the baggage compartment.
My back cushion rests on top of the seat cushion so if I ever need to change the depth of the seat cushion, that might need to adjusted also. So, I would have the back cushion made to go down below the seat cushion and have the seat cushion butt up against it.

Back