What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PWM Dimmer

PWM devices may create noise so I would lean towards a product designed for aviation where that was likely taken into account.

PIREP LC40E

The LC40E from Flight Data Systems works well, no noise. First hand experience with the device and its operation. Installed in RV-7 driving a combination of EL and LED lighting.

If I hadn't gone with the Garmin suite the second time around I would have installed the LC40E or LC50.

Cheers!

Red, White & Blue LEDs

Steinair sells strips and map lights in Red, White & Blue.
I get the Red for cockpit light and I can see a good reason for white, but what is the reason for blue?

I need a three PWM dimmers to control a strip of glareshield panel LEDs and a Map/Cabin LED either side.
on?

Are you sure you want PWM dimmers? These glareshield strips typically have built-in dropping resistors, and dim well with a simple rheostat-supplied voltage. For high power applications the rheostat would get very hot, but not for panel lights. I dimmed my panel-strip LEDs with an inexpensive pot controlling an LM317 voltage regulator chip.

Are you sure you want PWM dimmers? These glareshield strips typically have built-in dropping resistors, and dim well with a simple rheostat-supplied voltage. For high power applications the rheostat would get very hot, but not for panel lights. I dimmed my panel-strip LEDs with an inexpensive pot controlling an LM317 voltage regulator chip.

+1

I did this for both my planes. Most LED stripes are setup for 12 volts and will work with rheostats. Also, my indicator lights are 12 volt units and also can be dimmed with a rheostat. Cheaper and no noise issues. Just be sure to measure the current draw for the LED strips and get a rheostat of an appropriate wattage. The even sell them with an SPST switch in them. I tested with both an old pwm and the rheostat. Both created the same illumination at the lowest level.

Larry

Last edited:
Back