What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CB panel install

Dennis Harm

Hi everyone, installing the circuit breaker panel into my 14a. Panel was built by Steinair and is being installed into the Vans 45 degree panel kit. When I installed the breaker panel and checked for continuity between panel source wire and ground ,I’m getting a dead short thru volt meter .some part of the buss bar or circuit breaker’s are making contact with the mounting brackets. Did anyone installing this setup have problems with this?thanks Dennis

You have to pay careful attention at the bottom part of the panel where it is close to the tunnel. It is likely that your busbar is contacting something there. So take it off, and check for interference all around; you won't want it even close because close is too close when things vibrate.

I had to relieve the tunnel cover with a hole in that location so that the panel could extend down a bit and not hit it.

You might also be able to shorten up your busbar if it is extending out too far past the last breaker on the end.

I took the additional step of wrapping the whole assembly in silicone self-sealing tape. I like that because I had some extra, and because it is thicker than electrical tape. Electrical tape would work too. But you can't just tape it and have it rubbing -> calamity will ensue.

Back