What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Jettison Relocation

Craw

Good Morning All,
I recently saw an example of an RV-14 (Flight Chops) that had moved the canopy jettison handle to the left upper side of the panel. I was wondering if this could be accomplished in an RV-7 and if so does anyone have any instructions or images to show how they did it?

Cheers,

Phil

Haven't seen or done this mod, but your question got me thinking what might work.
In this concept you could use a control cable similar to this:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/thandledashctrl1.php?clickkey=9629

Basically you would reverse the rotation of W619. Insure clearance around it for linkage movement. Fabricate a cable brace and lever stop. Also install a coil spring to insure lock pins stay engaged in the lock position.

You could also do similar with a solid linkage arrangement, would be more complicated but potentially stronger.

Special Note!! If you use a cable system like this and want it to function as a 'Canopy Jettison' function - be sure to make the cable/lever attach swivel super strong to hold up to a very (Panic Adrenalin fueled!) strong pull. I have heard more than a few stories of folks having to panic shut down their engines and literally pulling the Lean Mixture cable right out of the panel!

Sorry, don't know why picture expands upside down...

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 245
As another option, on one 7A I built, I extended the W619 down below the sub panel. I fabricated a support brace attached to the bottom of the sub panel and the lever was just below that. Stock link/handle was used to have it come out beside the throttle. That was done to clean up the panel but the control was not intended for jettison purposes.

Haven't seen or done this mod, but your question got me thinking what might work.
In this concept you could use a control cable similar to this:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/thandledashctrl1.php?clickkey=9629

Basically you would reverse the rotation of W619. Insure clearance around it for linkage movement. Fabricate a cable brace and lever stop. Also install a coil spring to insure lock pins stay engaged in the lock position.

You could also do similar with a solid linkage arrangement, would be more complicated but potentially stronger.

Special Note!! If you use a cable system like this and want it to function as a 'Canopy Jettison' function - be sure to make the cable/lever attach swivel super strong to hold up to a very (Panic Adrenalin fueled!) strong pull. I have heard more than a few stories of folks having to panic shut down their engines and literally pulling the Lean Mixture cable right out of the panel!

Sorry, don't know why picture expands upside down...

The cable arrangement is almost exactly what we did, but the cable did a 180 for proper rotation of the release mechanism. Works well for normal removal of the canopy - I assume it would work equally as well in an emergency for jettison. Haven’t tested that fortunately.

The cable is a locking t-handle type. There is enough friction in the system that accidental release seems very unlikely.

Krea dot Ellis at gmail dot com

Email me for pictures if you want.

I simply moved the standard release handle and associated bellcranks to 1/2 inch to the right of a standard central radio rack, I adjusted the length of the pushrods to suit. I have the best of all worlds, canopy release if needed in flight or ditching, easy removal of canopy for maintenance, and required no new parts. I have a 10 inch screen on the left, standard radio stack and either EFIS or IPad on right side of panel. Morris.

Restarting thread on canopy release

I’m thinking of similar setup to what Flight Chops did. Just looking for a few more pictures. Will either locate on left panel or under panel in middle.

76BECF77-D41D-4F0D-A3C3-85661D810F93.jpg

Attachments

• 3D6E97B8-86D9-468B-8F89-7C08397BAF89.jpg
    3D6E97B8-86D9-468B-8F89-7C08397BAF89.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Canopy cable idea

Well now, I have done that idea a long time ago and yup I have a picture of it.
During my panel rebuild/replacement I did it.
The builder of my RV-6A thought it would be a good idea to put bolts for the canopy hinges. I had to build the whole works on my back.
BAD IDEA
If you ever wanted to remove the canopy, Good luck
I only have the picture of the mount area. Make sure to put a double clamp on it like you see in the picture so it never comes loose. I made the clamps out of some 1/4" stock and tapped the block they are screwed to. Very solid.
The cable is a locking Bowden that comes through the left side above some switches.
Good luck Art

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 173
Back