- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:37 PM

Default Another configuration…

If you cut the leg length right and use a pool noodle for cushioning it will roll down and go “over center” and sit in the gap between the floor carpet and panel cover carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94D136D8-F740-497A-93B5-3400170282DA.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	15407  Click image for larger version

Name:	0FCDE5CA-64F1-4225-A42B-53537F75A0B3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	15408  
Flight testing completed August 14, 2018
2021 VAF dues paid plus beer money😜
Old 09-15-2021, 10:04 AM

I'm dense. I need photos of this set up in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_AZ View Post
Here's what I use in my -10; I've seen a couple of -14s, but haven't paid enough attention to the cockpit design to know if it will work in that model.

The PVC portion is a minimal modification from what I received from the original builder when I purchased the A/C--thanks John and Teresa. I slip the short PVC segments over the bottoms of the starboard rudder pedals. The "arm" length was trimmed and the angle adjusted to allow a tight fit with a slight "over center"--when the crutch tip is jammed into the junction of the floor and bulkhead beneath the seat, e.g. the arm slopes up slightly in the direction of the rudder pedals. Note that the arm is offset from center so that the stick itself doesn't interfere with placement. The combination of pressure and rubber crutch tip minimizes slippage risk. I can install or remove while sitting in the cockpit. That locks the rudder, and if I'm just refueling, going to breakfast on a calm morning, or similar, that's all I do besides tiedowns.

If it's windy, or if I'm going to be away from the A/C for any significant period of time, I also secure the elevator and ailerons. Basically, one nylon strap passes through the outboard port-side seatbelt (Hooker) buckle, wraps x 2 around the starboard stick and back. That is repeated for the second strap on the opposite sides, creating an "X" pattern. The styrofoam cylinder (as used for physical therapy, and readily available from Amazon, as are the straps) is placed between the starboard stick and front of the seat before the straps are drawn tight. That leaves the elevator in a very slightly up orientation (it could be changed to slightly down by using a cylinder with a larger diameter). I've left the A/C for multiple days at KWJF (Lancaster, CA) on several occasions. Typical winds are in the 25 knot range there, with higher gusts--no issues.

No risk of departing with the locks installed. You couldn't get in and buckle up with the ailerons/elevator secured, and it would be difficult to taxi without noticing that the rudder pedals can't be moved.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:05 AM

Please show me in a photo in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJones View Post
If you cut the leg length right and use a pool noodle for cushioning it will roll down and go “over center” and sit in the gap between the floor carpet and panel cover carpet.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:06 AM

Please posts photos of in-place devices. Most of what you all are saying just goes right over my head.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:28 PM

Default Photos "Installed"

[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkwalton View Post
Please posts photos of in-place devices. Most of what you all are saying just goes right over my head.
As requested. Good timing--a day later and the seats would have been out in preparation for this year's Condition Inspection. Please excuse the old brake fluid stains. I guess I need to get after those. In one photo, just the rudder lock is installed, and it was installed hastily at that, so te alignment could be better. In the other photo, I installed one of the straps--port seatbelt to starboard stick. To complete the installation, you would connect the starboard seat belt buckle to the port stick with a second strap, and apply a little tension. When installing "for real", I normally loop the belt around the stick an extra time, although I don't know that doing so adds much. Where the elevator rests is a function of foam cylinder diameter and seat position.

Effective? Yes
Simple to build? Yes
Inexpensive? Yes
Lightweight? Yes
Elegant? ...Not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder Lock_Installed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	15897  Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Locks_Installed.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	15898  
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

Smile Locks

Although not cheap I found the gust locks from rvplastic parts work very well and quite effective. We've all got a lot of emotional and financial investments in our airframes and I sleep well when traveling knowing these are on.