- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:12 PM

Default RV-14 weight and balance

Iím at the point in my build where I need to start making decisions on where to put my batteries and ELT. Iím leaning towards a two battery (one alternator) electrical configuration and would like to put both batteries behind the baggage compartment. However, I am concerned about the aft CG this may create. The solution may be to move the ELT forward to the same location behind the baggage compartment (or put one or both batteries forward). Does anyone have a similar configuration of a dual battery, IO-390 with two PMAGs, and a Hartzell blended prop taildragger? If so, I would be very interested in your weight and balance data and where you put the batteries and ELT. If not, anyone with a basic weight and balance spreadsheet for a basic plans built RV-14Ö. Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2021, 04:07 PM

Here is a thread with the official data on RV-14 W&B:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=133335

This page has some various data points:
https://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2017/09/...d-balance.html

My RV-14 is 1216 lbs at 80.29Ē when empty other than (very little) unusable fuel. Thatís 18 lbs lighter than N144VA and 1.04Ē forward. But N144VA is a painted airplane with an interior and the gear fairings installed, and I have not got around to those three things yet.

I primed most of the aluminum inside. I painted the interior. I built it to the plans except for Beringer main wheels and brakes, Flyboy Accessories tailwheel, and a half Raven oil separator mounted behind the engine on the left side. Single alternator, single E-mag, single Odyssey battery on the firewall, ELT in the tail. The panel is nice and heavy: dual G3X Touch, GTN 650, GTR 20, GMA 245R, GTX 45R, IBBS mounted to sub panel, and all the other accessories.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:59 AM

I think my data is probably close to what you are looking for. Not sure about the prop reference but easy enough to make adjustments to accommodate differences.

Look at this post: https://vansairforce.net/community/s...4&postcount=71

PM me if you need more info.
- donation 12/18/2020 * 2