Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2021, 06:28 PM

When I built mine, I had two slots for the dimpler, 1/3 in from either end. This made it easier to dimple the ends of big sheets.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 08-05-2021, 09:31 AM

Lots of good ideas here ... for the heavy DRDT-2 I made a 2x2 rolling stand with lockable casters of the same height as my 2 EAA workbenches. The same, but without casters, for the lighter C-frame riveter. A very flexible setup that gave good support to everything regardless of size or shape.
1949 Cessna 140A - IRAN'd 2017
Dues paid for 2021
Old 08-05-2021, 12:32 PM

I use an adjustable height rolling table from home depot to clamp the DRDT2 and then another workbench to lay the skin on.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:58 AM

"The use of a bit of tube over the rivet also helped keep the flanges flat onto the rib."

interested in this process. Would you have a pic or could you elaborate. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Mine was like Ty above except...
I use EAA benches. Easy to move them around. The platform and C-frame were not permenant so everythjng could be arranged to fit the job.
I did the same thing as well. Works like a charm to optimize space.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 AM

Here is a link to the EAA plans. Only mod I did was to extend on two sides to allow for clamping to table but I can still butt end to end to work on longer pieces. I have my HS on the two benches right now with them butted together.

http://eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm
Old 08-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Default Tube over rivet end

PatMac,

I couldn't find the original post you referenced, but I believe this is a similar technique to the tube referenced. I used small O rings over the rivet tail. The squeezer (or bucking bar) compresses the two flanges together before the rivet sets to aid in a tight fit. Nice to have when you have 10 rivets completed and one piece of metal that doesn't want to stay perfectly flat..

The image is just a set-up to show the washer and is not representative of actual surfaces to be riveted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D71FC5CA-4EFC-4CCD-BF95-A76D351A3E11.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	14820  
Douglas, GA. 2020 Dues paid
Old 08-19-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Another technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgill View Post
PatMac,

I couldn't find the original post you referenced, but I believe this is a similar technique to the tube referenced. I used small O rings over the rivet tail. The squeezer (or bucking bar) compresses the two flanges together before the rivet sets to aid in a tight fit. Nice to have when you have 10 rivets completed and one piece of metal that doesn't want to stay perfectly flat..

The image is just a set-up to show the washer and is not representative of actual surfaces to be riveted.
For a similar task, I used a strip of very high density foam rubber (about 1/4 thick) attached to the bucking bar. The rivet would push through it and the foam would push the flanges together before the rivet began setting.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgill View Post
PatMac,

I have never understood how this works. Doesn't the o-ring need to be thicker than the rivet tail is tall (so its squeezing the two pieces together)? I've tried making tubing thicker, but the bucking is always ugly. What am I missing?
Old 08-20-2021, 04:59 PM

Agreed, the image I posted was just some components I had at the house. Everything else is at the hanger. The O ring should be roughly the same height as the rivet tail at the start. As it squeezes. Everything gets pushed together.
Try some samples and see how it works.
Douglas, GA. 2020 Dues paid