- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:05 PM

Default New RV-8/8A Builder

Well I just ordered my Empennage Kit. Step one of the build.

I saw RV Tools Kits but I think it is more cost effective to buy the tools as needed.

What are the needed tools for “Phase 1 Empennage?”

Also I saw the Tool Box and Light Sign. I do plane to complete those and my practice.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:28 PM

I don’t know….maybe a good set of tools if you don’t have any might cost 1-2% of your budget. But it might be frustrating to wait for tools to do a specific task. Also shipping is expensive. The right tool is everything. Believe it or not you’re probably going to make some tools yourself. Sometimes can get lucky on Craigslist or asking around at the airport for someone who’s not needing aviation tools anymore. Even the classifieds on VAF have sets every once and awhile. There are advertisers on VAF who have created quality tool kits specific to the planes we are building. You can go to a local A&P school and ask for the list of tools they are suggesting for their students. Also talk to EAA chapter and other builders about what they think. I’m pretty sure this is an area where you don’t want to cheap it out.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:07 PM

You definitely need to look at the "recommended" and "optional" tool lists in the preview plans! With current delivery times, I'm betting you've got plenty of time now to plan out your tool purchases.

One recommendation I would make would be to buy a nice new "ultra-quiet" dual-piston air compressor. I've seen the 20gal/2hp model for around $550 online. Come over to my house and listen to the obnoxious 20+ year old Craftsman compressor I have, and you'll see why.

Last edited by N804RV : 09-14-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:26 AM

THanks, that was one thing I was looking at. What size air compressor do I need?

I don’t want to cheap out on tools just buying closer to when needed. I dint have a garage I live in the city in a high rise so I have to rent a hangar (my brother and I took half my mom garage for our motorcycles maintenance and projects)

Im excited but want to learn from others experience as much as possible.

I started seeing different mods poeople suggest like extended tanks or electric trim safety .
Old 09-15-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanzAir-DragonBlaze View Post
Im excited but want to learn from others experience as much as possible.

I started seeing different mods poeople suggest like extended tanks or electric trim safety .
Here's some advice - build the aircraft as close to the plans as possible. Every change will cost you a lot more time than you might think. I got this advice before I started building, didn't listen for a while, and then came back to understand the wisdom of it, which allowed me to finish and fly.

If you want to build a masterpiece with every bell and whistle, and are happy to take many years to do it, no problem - lots of people do this, and have built some amazing aircraft. If you want to fly, stick to the plans as much as possible.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanzAir-DragonBlaze View Post
THanks, that was one thing I was looking at. What size air compressor do I need?...
I wouldn't get any smaller than a 20gal tank, and any less than 5.7cfm.

Dewalt has one thats 5.7cfm at 90psi and a 30gal tank for less than $900. The noise level is 78db, which isn't too bad (I think).

But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are others.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:06 PM

As to tool buying; I think it will become incredibly frustrating to continually come up upon needing a tool, and only order it then. All the tool companies know RV's and their recommended "tool kits" are at least a good start. If you have a builder who can comb through the list and advise on what you will NEED and what you'll only WANT, you're off to the races.

Two grand for tools may be jaw dropping now, but wait until you actually contemplate engines...
RV8 #81751 project sold
RV8 #81651 project acquired
https://theonceandfutureflyer.wordpress.com/
Donations up to date thru December 2015

"...serenity...courage...and wisdom..."