Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2021, 07:31 PM

This is going to raise a few hackles. But, I keep my DRDT2 on the shelf, and pull it out and attach it to a temporary table top that is clamped to my ShopMate portable work table. No outfeed tables or supports. So far, when I've used the DRDT2, this is how I've done it.

https://youtu.be/i6ljOVNIGoI
Old 08-20-2021, 08:09 PM

There are only ~40 skins on an RV that need to be dimpled and (in general), you're only gonna be dimpling a couple of them at any one time. I didn't see the need to invest in a special fixture or dedicated workspace - I just put the dimpling tool on the shop floor and used whatever materials were handy to create a surface that was relatively level with the bottom die. Old phone books (remember those?), Harbor Freight packing blankets, etc. Whatever was necessary to achieve the proper height. Then I sat on the floor and pounded dimples for a few minutes on each skin.

Yeah, I know. It is barbaric. But my shop isn't cluttered with "one more" special table/tool, and I saved whatever time it might have taken to build a dimpling fixture. Now, if I was a pro builder or a build assist shop, I'd have one at an appropriate working height. Otherwise, not an efficient use of my time.

Unless you have unlimited time, there are forks in the road where you need to decide if you're building an airplane or a shop. ;-)
2019(?) RV-10
Old 08-20-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N804RV View Post
This is going to raise a few hackles. But, I keep my DRDT2 on the shelf, and pull it out and attach it to a temporary table top that is clamped to my ShopMate portable work table. No outfeed tables or supports. So far, when I've used the DRDT2, this is how I've done it.

https://youtu.be/i6ljOVNIGoI
What's the laser mount you've got there? 3d printed?
Old 08-20-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post

Unless you have unlimited time, there are forks in the road where you need to decide if you're building an airplane or a shop. ;-)
well, when you're waiting for shipping, yeah time is practically unlimited. You make an excellent point though, thank you!
Old 08-21-2021, 06:55 AM

Default Dimpling

IMO, there is no substitute for some help in the shop when dimpling the bigger, more cumbersome parts. Twice now I put an extra hole with the dreaded C-frame dimpler that I don't think would have happened had I been patient enough to get another pair of hands involved. Last one was the left fuel tank skin and that jewel cost over $300 with shipping...

JET
Old 08-21-2021, 07:09 AM

I made two EAA benches a long time ago. I made a sturdy 2x4 based frame on the end of one that gets the DRDT-2 work right at table height plus a little allowance for the toolchest liner I put on the table while dimpling. The dimpler can unbolt easily from the bracket and be put away. For small stuff its on a table.... for big stuff I drag the other bench over and the DRDT ends up between them.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:16 AM

The guy at Clemson Aeronautics has a bunch of good videos on (his version of ) the dd dimpler. Here is the link. I'm buying his system and will donate to the builders at Bowman Field are surrounding areas when finished building.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7j...cDBEr76rvjRsbg