- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:22 PM

Default Great timing

The high wing, off road, STOL trend is not going away soon. It only makes sense for Van's to join this segment. 1) The kit will likely be superior to other offerings, 2) There is a ready market from existing Van's customers 3) There's a market for those who want such a plane and know of Van's reputation for fine kits.

Look at the interest just based on this thread. This is the only plane that could cause me to build again.

My wish list. 2 or 3 seats with lots of baggage space. Lycoming engine. Possible ability for both trike and tail dragger configurations. Speed at 140kts at least. Compatible with existing tail springs. (for obvious reasons)

Exciting times!!!
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 08-05-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Cruise Speed

I too want to see at least 140 KTAS cruise speed. There seems to be two camps; one that wants STOL with no regard for cruise speed, others just want a high wing version of the fast Vans lineup. I'm looking for the fast cruiser. I hope Vans can appease both - maybe with some options that appeal to each camp.

As someone else mentioned, the Sling High Wing is a good performer with only a 141 hp Rotax 915 iS. They are advertising a cruise of 145 KTAS. Seems pretty good, especially for a 4 seater. The ability to use standard car gas with ethanol (without any modifications) is a big plus.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNSoCal View Post
I too want to see at least 140 KTAS cruise speed. There seems to be two camps; one that wants STOL with no regard for cruise speed, others just want a high wing version of the fast Vans lineup. I'm looking for the fast cruiser. I hope Vans can appease both - maybe with some options that appeal to each camp.

As someone else mentioned, the Sling High Wing is a good performer with only a 141 hp Rotax 915 iS. They are advertising a cruise of 145 KTAS. Seems pretty good, especially for a 4 seater. The ability to use standard car gas with ethanol (without any modifications) is a big plus.
Not for purchase yet. You are reading what Sling thinks it will do. Wait and see what a customer gets out of a finished product.

If this is your direction, call Matt at ..... THE AIRPLANE FACTORY INC. 3401 Airport Drive , Torrance Ca. He is a Sling dealer.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID