What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bagage Compartment Temperature

Chill31

I've noticed that the firewall gets pretty hot, and since it forms one side of the front bagage compartment, I'd like to insulate it on the bagage compartment side to prevent that area from getting too warm. I touched it with my hand through the bagage compartment after I flew, and it was uncomfortably warm.

Looking for any suggestions/tips you guys might have insulating it.

Go to secondskinaudio.com and check out the heat wave insulating pads they have. We have ordered from them several times. They are good people.

I'd not go OTT on "insulation" straight away... When flying, the general air flow will prevent any heat build up. The "problem" we find is on the ground after flight, when the general heat build up of the engine will warm up the front end of the aircraft - and I am not sure insulation will make much difference?

Thoughts - not an issue unless you have something in the baggage bay that is heat sensitive. We have a smoke tank there, and that is an issue - heat makes the viscosity got down so flow rate up. It is not a problem on a long transit, it is a problem with a pre-position flight, when the time on the ground then heats up the oil.

You could reduce this by the usual trick of opening the oil door, the baggage door, or just removing the heat sensitive luggage (food?!) soon after shutdown.

Andy

Back