What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on JetFlex WR....

Reflex

Well Known Member
Painted the interior of my fuse today. While test shoots went very well, it appears that I either had my air pressure to high or my paint too dry when the fuse was painted. The result was a very rough finish. I was working for a smooth finish.

Anybody know what is needed to re-coat the WR type of JetFlex interior paint? Can it be recoated without sanding if it's done soon enough after spraying? This stuff is about as rough as anything I've seen.

Fred

I had the same result with JetFlex WR. I believe it was because I couldn't keep the paint gun at an even distance due to the long reach and odd angles.

<Try thinning it down to 15% or so if you are in a dry/hot climate.>

Correction - the max limit in the data sheet is 25% - aim for that least that level.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the tips. Paint was reduced 20% when I shot it. Went back out to the shop last night and reduced air pressure and got good results.

Anybody know the right procedure to sand and re-shoot JetFlex WR?

As already suggested, additional water will help. I was fortunate, though. When I sprayed my interior, first glance said I might have to remove it for orange peel. An hour later, it had self leveled. I found it very forgiving for a first time painter. YMMV. ;)

I'm almost to the same point. I did part of the interior but I need to do the remainder. I've been delaying as much as possible but its a big step and once its done I don't want to scratch it.

I sprayed my flap motor covers separately and I got some orange peel. I think it will take some sanding prior to repainting. This stuff is actually pretty tough once it completely dries so I would suggest you start sanding sooner rather than later.

It's been determined that my paint mix was fine.

At issue was the supply pressure to the gun. I misunderstood the instruction I was given. Max supply pressure is 30psi, I took this to mean dynamic (when the trigger is pressed). The max supply pressure is evidently a static reading.

Sanding

Many thanks for the tips. Paint was reduced 20% when I shot it. Went back out to the shop last night and reduced air pressure and got good results.

Anybody know the right procedure to sand and re-shoot JetFlex WR?

No idea on water based but it is an epoxy so a wet sand with 400 should smooth it out.

Larry,

Thanks, I figured as much. Started the process last night. Planning on smoothing out with 350 - 400 grit and to give the first layer some "tooth" then correct the mistake and re-shoot.

One thing is for sure, the way this stuff sands after only 24 hours, it should make one heck of a good coating for the interior.

Fred

Back