What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle quadrant with vernier controls

Hi, I wanted vernier controls for mixture and pitch, so a friend helped design this for me... Its a cover for the underlying aluminium mount. Hopefully, it will look as good in real life!

It is 3d printed in toughened nylon with a smooth finish.

Screenshot%202019-03-20%20at%2019.07.52.png

There are a few threads related to this concept here on VAF to look at. As someone who's added vernier prop/mixture to an RV-8 and Rocket, I'd suggest you do a quick mock up and try it on for size before making real parts. The -8 is ergonomically tricky, and I can see some areas where your concept could easily rub someone the wrong way, so to speak. Another more specific point to consider (based upon your drawing): Where is the pivot located on your throttle? If it is anywhere near the stubby stock piece you are going to have a significant arc as it articulates. It looks like you are going for a linear action, and that's going to mean a pivot down at the floor. I did a pivot at the floor on my Rocket and like the action very much.

I would be a bit worried as it would be difficult to push all three controls forward at the same time using only one hand in an emergency climb/go around...

Your prop and mixture should already be all the way in (fine and rich, respectively) on final so this shouldn't be an issue on a go around. Just sayin'.

Your prop and mixture should already be all the way in (fine and rich, respectively) on final so this shouldn't be an issue on a go around. Just sayin'.

Kinda depends on where you are. At my field elevation, 5,050', we lean for takeoff or go-around. Full rich means a noticeable loss of power.

Dave

Interesting comments...the mount is 3mm thick and fits directly to the standard RV8 quadrant Mount. The throttle is a stock Van’s rear throttle
I’ve flown for many years with vernier mixture and pitch with a lever for the throttle... standard in my Husky, Supercub, decathlon etc. thousands of pilots manage that arrangement every day without crashing! red knob, blue knob, throttle... as someone said... blue knob and red knob will already be in if I need to go around.
I operate my Husky from a 190 yard strip with a 4ft fence at each end... no room for error!
The shroud fits on top of Van’s quadrant, and there were a few trials with various positions for the verniers.

Last edited:
I?d love something like that if they ever get mass produced. I?ve got the three lever quadrant and while I really like being able to adjust the prop without taking my hand off the throttle, the single friction lock is getting annoying because moving one lever tends to move all three.

skeleton for the cover

This is the underlying skeleton for the Vernier control...Having sat in it and made various aeroplane noises including 'dagadagadaga' machine guns sounds, the ergonomics work for me!
The Flyboys throttle shown here was just too tall to work with the Showplanes Fastback modified rails so it was replaced by a simple Van's rear cockpit throttle. The 'T' handle is version 1... will only be able to tell if it works when it's installed.

IMG_0761.jpeg

Last edited:
Back