What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad with cellular

mc607

Well Known Member
I’m looking at upgrading my iPad with Foreflight in mind. Is the cellular version’s built in gps worth the extra money or am I better off going with just the wifi version and sticking with my Garmin Glo? Looking at the IPad Air 10.9” 256gb.
I’ve had the Glo drop the signal once, is the ipads gps reliable?
Thanks,
Todd

I really like the built in GPS.

Works fine and you can also use the mapping/navigation feature in a car that doesn't have built in navigation.

I recommend the cellular version with the GPS. A bit more money, but a week or two after you swipe that CC (figuratively) you'll have forgotten about the money. Hassling with the external GPS - you'll have to do that on every flight.

"When you buy the best, you only cry once." -A Wise Fellow

The cellular version is a great deal at ~$140 more than the regular version, for the GPS capability as well as cellular data. My cellular data plan costs me $10/month extra for unlimited data on my iPad Pro.

GPS is only a component of the cellular version iPad. If one is going to use their iPad for aircraft navigation, GPS seems like an obvious choice.

I’m gonna be the dissenting voice here I guess. OP already has the Garmin Glo so why pay more money for a built in GPS unless you also really want data when out of Wi-Fi range but still in cellular range? Glo has always worked fine for me and I don’t find it a hassle at all. Take the $ and buy some gas.

I’m in the WiFi only camp, using the Bad Elf GPS for flying. For areas with no WiFi I use my Verizon phone as a hot spot for the iPad (at no additional cost).

Carl

Todd, from an ease of use, nothing extra needed initially, or ever with cellular iPad. Sell your Glo if price matters. Reliable…..100+ hours a year, last 3 years, never ever an issue with iPad/ForeFlight basic. I fly VFR only, never in the pattern 😀

I’m in the WiFi only camp, using the Bad Elf GPS for flying. For areas with no WiFi I use my Verizon phone as a hot spot for the iPad (at no additional cost).

Carl

What is Verizon charging you for the hotspot option on your phone plan? See, there is an additional cost!

TANSTAAFL.

Just get the cellular I-pad and you will never regret it Period.
Art
I agree. To me, it’s worth $140 to have Foreflight with GPS and the ability to update weather, traffic, and airport info from the hangar or the cockpit via cellular, all in one unit. I like being able to use Foreflight without having to kludge up other devices to make the thing work. Other flight planning programs might need less sophisticated hardware, but I really like Foreflight and its simplicity when used with a stand-alone all-in-one wifi/cellular/GPS device.

I’m gonna be the dissenting voice here I guess. OP already has the Garmin Glo so why pay more money for a built in GPS unless you also really want data when out of Wi-Fi range but still in cellular range? Glo has always worked fine for me and I don’t find it a hassle at all. Take the $ and buy some gas.

I had the non gps variant, and it was a pain to connect to an external gps source. Doable, for sure, but it was one more link to brake. I have the GPS pro cell version now and would never get the wifi only again.

Even the cheap Samsung tablet that I use with Ifly, came with gps. And the screen is bright even in direct sunlight. It displays traffic and it never shuts down due to heat.

What am I missing by not spending the money on an Ipad??

Even the cheap Samsung tablet that I use with Ifly, came with gps. And the screen is bright even in direct sunlight. It displays traffic and it never shuts down due to heat.

What am I missing by not spending the money on an Ipad??

the ability to spend more $$$ on Foreflight.... :D

-Marc

Back