What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator stops

sblack

Well Known Member
I am looking at sheet 30 and the details regarding the elevator stops are a bit sparse. For the up stop it appears that I need to add a cross piece on the fin spar. For the down stop all I see is a +. Is there a detail drawing somewhere that I am missing?

89BB92B1-078F-4A33-BAA3-2FA5E6A863F5.jpeg

Why not just use a 1.5x3/4x1/8 piece of angle instead. That’s what’s used on the RV-7. That is if memory is correct may have bin just 1in can look tomorrow when I go to my shop.
PS. I have an RV-6.

RD

What I did

I just used a piece of .125" (made from one leg of an angle scrap) across the top and tied to the longerons if I recall. You just need to adlib a bit and be creative. Ultimately, they are just a hard stop to prevent the surrounding structure from getting wrecked. On another note while your in that area, make sure your empennage fairing is securely attached (good nutplates)at the AFT Lower end and clears the elevators , as there have been cases of the fairing screws migrating and the elevators being jammed. Se attached picture.

Attachments

• Fairing.jpg
    Fairing.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 136
Why not just use a 1.5x3/4x1/8 piece of angle instead. That’s what’s used on the RV-7. That is if memory is correct may have bin just 1in can look tomorrow when I go to my shop.
PS. I have an RV-6.

RD

For me the question is “instead of what?”. I can’t make out the designer’s intention from the plans.

In the manual

Plans are only part of the build.

Look in the builder's manual. Page 8-11. "A piece of alum...".

I used a 1/8x1" bar for the top.

For the rear bulkhead, less than 1/8" thick was needed for full travel. Actually had to enlarge the cutout hole in the aft deck and that became the stop.

Finn

Plans are only part of the build.

Look in the builder's manual. Page 8-11. "A piece of alum...".

I used a 1/8x1" bar for the top.

For the rear bulkhead, less than 1/8" thick was needed for full travel. Actually had to enlarge the cutout hole in the aft deck and that became the stop.

Finn

But I did read the manual....6 yrs ago :eek:. I will review it. Thank you.

Back