What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel system rebuild

NewbRVator

Well Known Member
Fuel system rebuild.

Hi I am going to rebuild my fuel system from the firewall forward. Currently have a carburated O-360 A1A.

Should I keep the carb?

Go to FI?

Lines and Filters?

Anyone use McFarlane?

Kind of a big project but I have a mid-time from new factory engine and should have many happy hours.

Thanks for any input.

Is there a specific reason for the rebuild? Reason for wanting FI instead of Carb?
These are important questions because the answer could include anything from a hose replacement to rebuilding your lower cowl.

FI is nice, but may be a much bigger project than you think. If you are just trying to replace old line I would send your current ones to TS Flightlines. You will have a new set in a couple of days. Replace the fuel pump, and you are done.

Yes it seems FI conversion is likely bigger than I want. I like the flightlines referral.

Great responses. Thanks.

Herold-----there are ALOT of RVs out there with carbureted fuel systems that are just fine. If it works, stay with it. Changing to injection is probably a bigger project ( time and expense) than you may think.

Tom

I converted my mid-time O360-A4M out of Piper Archer to AFP FI while building.

Pro: Able to run LOP in cruise.
Con: $4k-$5k in parts.

Tom of TSFlightlines just happened to be on the same field at 3J1. Excellent workmanship and now a great friend.

Also plan to replace my sump with the Superior fwd facing cold air sump to gain some HP.

Difference is he has a flying airplane. More time consuming to convert, han if building it with injection to begin with. Even easier if the engine was already FI equipped from another plane.
Tom

Back