What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trailing edge

I am researching techniques for getting a great trailing edge. Most posts recommend the use of an angle bracket match drilled to the leading edge.

How did you match drill? Seems like the safest way is to use the leading edge wedge as opposed to using the skin as its prob better to replace the wedge if you screw up.

Your line of thinking is sound regarding replacement parts if something gets damaged, however the holes in the wedges need to be drilled 90 degrees to the plane that bisects the angle (at least they do for the flaps and ailerons; I can't remember if the rudder wedge is the same). If you use the skins as a template for match drilling you don't have that extra complication.

I had the same concern when I did this. Rather than match drill, I centered the skin onto the angle, taped it down and used a center punch to mark the hole locations, then drilled with the drill press.

This post on my build log has a timelapse video of me doing it if you're interested:
https://n6807m.wordpress.com/2019/07/21/rudder-page-7-9-step-8-2/

(this particular procedure starts at around 1:30 if you want to fast-forward).

Back