What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon software lock out

vernon smith

Well Known Member
I?m upgrading the electronics on my 12 to Dynon SkyView replacing the D-180. It appears I have two choices for the initial software install into the SkyView. Van?s has their proprietary package on their web site which comes with a lot of the data particular to the 12 preinstalled which would save quite a bit of entry time.

My D-180 had the Van?s proprietary package loaded into it by the original owner. I soon found one feature of the Van?s package I did not like. Dynon provides Van?s with the capability to lock out certain selectable features in their software. In my D-180 I was locked out of the data logger function. Data loggers can be invaluable for tracking long term performance parameters as well as looking for anomalies during a particular time frame. Dynon also allows you to set the time span between samplings so you can set the logger to take a sample every two minutes which would allow you many hours of record time before you filled the available storage space.

I am wondering if anyone who has updated to the SkyView system using the Vans software has run into any features or parameter that they could not access or edit. It?s easy to tell, if you have any fields that are grayed out they were probably locked.

Dynon support might not want to give you an unlock code without Van's OK. If that is the case, you could call Van's, explain why you want the D-180 unlocked, and ask them to give Dynon the OK to unlock. If you intend to sell the D-180, the new owner will want it unlocked.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no ?locked out? features in the Skyview firmware, regardless of the source (Van?s or Dynon).
Alex

Swapping to Skyview sounds a bit daunting with all the custom wire looms. Is there an interface harness to simplify the connections?

I?m upgrading the electronics on my 12 to Dynon SkyView replacing the D-180. It appears I have two choices for the initial software install into the SkyView. Van?s has their proprietary package on their web site which comes with a lot of the data particular to the 12 preinstalled which would save quite a bit of entry time.

----------
I am wondering if anyone who has updated to the SkyView system using the Vans software has run into any features or parameter that they could not access or edit. It?s easy to tell, if you have any fields that are grayed out they were probably locked.

Vern,
I converted from D-180 to SkyView about a year and half ago. Of the two choices for the initial software load, I installed Van's package which is, as you know, specific to the RV-12. There are no lock outs. Read carefully Van's SkyView Pre Sets Read-Me and follow those instructions.

Once you are all configured and up and running you can go into the menus and set things up how you like. I ran the Van's default set-up until I was comfortable with how things work.

Be sure to save your configurations to your USB stick!! From then on, I would use the Dynon updates. This won't occur very often. None of your settings should be overwritten in the future when updating with the Dynon files.

BTW, two minutes hits on the data logger is way, way too much unmonitored time. A lot can happen in two minutes! I would leave that alone, you won't run out of recording space on even long RV-12 flights. You will find you can track all ~90 parameters with no problem at 1 second intervals (I think the default is 1 sec, but I could be wrong on that).

SkyView conversion harnesses

Swapping to Skyview sounds a bit daunting with all the custom wire looms. Is there an interface harness to simplify the connections?

Hi Rich,

You'll recall, I'm sure, my thread about converting to SkyView? There are two ways to do it. One way is to use interface harnesses to make connections to the SkyView and it's components. That is all shown in Section 42D which you can download from Van's. Lots of 12's are flying with conversion harness installations. It is still a daunting process, you have to prep the D-180 panel parts for the new gear. I show all of that in my thread as I had to do about half of section 42D in preparation but I did not use the conversion harness.
i-RRmt4KZ-L.png

I then went the second option and that was to rip out all the old harness throughout the ship and install the latest wiring. It's all in my thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=142898&highlight=Panel+upgrade

There is no kit to make the conversion, but those old conversion harnesses might still be on the shelf at Van's. They probably will not show up online, but you could call and inquire with some of the part numbers from Section 42D. Did I say it was still a daunting process?

Last edited:
Thanks, Tony. At 67 I have to ask myself how much longer I will I be flying and is it worth the effort for that time. Sucks to view things through that lens, but as an engineer I am above all things a pragmatist!

Rich

There is a third option. The third option is to use the D180 harnesses and repin them to match the Skyview harness. This is the option I chose. The tunnel and options harnesses are just long enough to make this work. I did not want the extra lengths involved using the conversion harnesses nor did I want the extra bulk of wires folded in the tunnel area. It was a fun process and all worked out perfectly except that I used the Vans schematic for DSUB choices. Imagine my surprise when I went to plug the options harness into the AV5000 and had two male pin ends looking at each other. I was kicking myself in the rear and calling myself an idiot, amongst other things. After reviewing the schematic DSUB callouts again, I determined that the wrong DSUB end had been installed in the AV5000. I had to return it to Vans for rework. They were very surprised that this could happen to their quality control. I was also switching to the GTR200 at the same time and making the pin changes for that and the removal of the intercom to use the internal GTR200, which is an amazing intercom. Dual Skyviews and GPS were installed. This is a risky procedure unless you are adept at following schematics very closely, marking each wire as you remove it from the old harness, and double checking your work. I was very happy with the final installation and no fireworks upon commission of electrical system.

Tony, I appreciate your information, I'm glad to hear I can take advantage of the Van's presets without dealing with lock outs. I did not want to do the plug/plug interface conversion Van's offers in their kit because I wanted to avoid ten or more plug to plug interfaces, so I'm seeing what pin outs match up and going from there. The firewall forward and fuselage harnesses seem to match up very well. Of course the new ignition and switch module match up perfectly with the control module. The intercom and com/nav interface are problematic and I'm certain the autopilot will be a nightmare.

I'm installing the Dynon knob panel, AP control head and radio. Van's has a kit for the knob panel and the AP so I'm hoping this will make these two control heads plug and play. I'm retaining the Garmin Sl-40 com radio from the original panel as well. With more than a little time deciphering the control module intercom and com/nav plug ins, I'm seriously considering calling SteinAir and turning this impending rats nest over to them. Dynon pin outs a two radio set up for their intercom but it does not take into consideration the existence of the Van's control module and it's com/nav input.

A mentor, much smarter then I, recommended I simply start from scratch and follow the Dynon SV install manual and he is probably right but to expedite the process and make the plane more attractive for resale I'm trying to stay as close to Van's S-LSA configuration s possible.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tony. At 67 I have to ask myself how much longer I will I be flying and is it worth the effort for that time. Sucks to view things through that lens, but as an engineer I am above all things a pragmatist!

Rich

Heck, I'm 79, and also an engineer. I tired quickly of the D-180. The new equipment is like candy to me. I find it immensely enjoyable and it keeps me young. If being practical means I can't have it then I guess I am not a pragmatist!

Last edited:
Back