What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pop Rivet Gun Modifications

vernon smith

Well Known Member
Why would someone butcher a perfectly good pop rivet gun like this?

gun2.jpg

arrow.jpg

Because someone had a brain fart. I didn't notice the three missing rivets until both skins were completely riveted on and the rear hinge carrying spar was about to be installed.

hole1.jpg

After no small amount of foul language and bruised hands working twelve inches deep into my RV-10's horizontal stab through a 6" X 2 1/2" hole cherry rivet in place.

fix.jpg

Boy; these whiny newcomers...

Numerous places in the -7 where you're *expected* to butcher one like that (at least the business end).

;-)

Last edited:
Can you tell me the minimum distance needed to pull a rivet using your tool? I have a gap on my project that is not much longer than the stem. This might be the ticket!

I feel your pain.

VERY nice save!

There is a (smallish) market for small headed pop rivet guns ... how many RV's are still in the stable?

Misery loves company, It's hard to answer the pull number because it ties into the rivet length. I was using a 4-3 which was on the short side of the length window, so I was able to pull the rivet with a single squeeze. Also, the run of the mill pop rivet guns are designed for regular rivets, not the cherry verity that pull MUCH harder. The guns designed for the cherry rivets have a shorter stroke, or more mechanical advantage, if that makes any sense.

To sum up, if you ever tried to pull a cherry rivet with a Home depot gun you know what I mean, and that's why pulling a cherry in the restricted space I had could only be done with my improvised screw jack or someone with very small hands and incredible forearm muscles.

I'll be glad to loan it to anyone that thinks it may solve a problem for them, send me a PM.

Back